US Residents - Full-time cruisers: Jury duty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Good Morning,

Those of you that live in the US and are cruising full time, not just living aboard in your home marina but actually on the move, how do you handle it when you are notified you have been subpoenaed for jury duty? Thinking ahead to our future... I suppose you could call the courthouse and tell them you were on a boat in the Abacos one time but how many times would they let you get away with that?

John

I got a notice to serve during the time we planned on being away all summer cruising. I simply returned the card stating when I would be back and that's when they postponed my date until.
That was in Connecticut and I didn't have to ask for another postponement.
Of course when I called the day before I was told they didn't need me. LOL Go figure.
Let me also add that I'm 66 and have only been notified 2 times for jury duty.

When dealing with govt admin officials I give them as little detail as possible. If called for jury duty while cruising I would say "I am at sea and will return on date....".

This question is almost too generic.

The short answer is, it depends on the court system, and it will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. County (probably few, if any, Jury Trials at the County level), State, or Federal? At the state level, the process and requirements will vary from state to state.

When dealing with govt admin officials I give them as little detail as possible. If called for jury duty while cruising I would say "I am at sea and will return on date....".

This is probably the best way. I would also add I am out of Country.

This question is almost too generic.

The short answer is, it depends on the court system, and it will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. County (probably few, if any, Jury Trials at the County level), State, or Federal? At the state level, the process and requirements will vary from state to state.

I have received two Federal Jury summons. I call the clerk and informed them that I am retired and will be out of country and out to sea. Both times I was removed from the jury pool.

best advice is be honest...

too much info isnt always the best till requested.

I think the local (state, municipal) experience will vary quite a bit. Probably need to check with Clerk of Court as to requirements.

My personal experience with the Feds was straightforward. I called them after receiving the jury notification and explained I was out of the country on an indefinite assignment. They requested a letter from me relating the situation. Provided same, the office responded with a "see you next year." Pretty easy, but they're persistent.

I live in FL where I believe you also are home stated.

If you are over 65, I'm pretty sure you can opt out.
When I receive the notice (comes by mail), you can postpone one time up to either 6 or 9 months (can't remember which). The notice comes months in advance, so mail forwarding or reading service should get it to you in a timely fashion.

Ted

If your over 70 you can refuse to serve.

Over 70

California has same system - over 70 you can opt out. Too bad the same is not observed by our houses of Congress!:blush:

This is probably the best way. I would also add I am out of Country.

I tried that. I was overseas for work. They postponed my date a couple of times but eventually said they could not do that anymore and I had to appear. So I cut my trip short and came back from overseas the day before I was scheduled. Of course, the night before I was scheduled to appear I checked (like you are supposed to) and found I was not needed and released.

Great information, everyone! Thanks for the guidance. One more item checked off of our planning list.

California has same system - over 70 you can opt out. Too bad the same is not observed by our houses of Congress!:blush:

Instead, congress is self serving, regardless of age...

Diapers and politicians should be changed for the exact same reasons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom