Gratuitous horn blowing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I just found the FCC June announcement of the change.* Tried to edit my post but it wouldn't take it.

Teaching I had drilled into my mind when quite young on the Northern Atlantic Costal and ICWW, regarding sound signals for boating conditions. *
Horn blowing, bell gonging, and loudspeaker broadcasting rule(s) of thumb:* Do not use any overt sound signals out of synchronization with standard marine rules; except in cases of blind-side warnings (close proximity, narrow channel blind turns and the like) and for immediate crisis warnings to help divert impending collision or other emergencies.* Otherwise use your vessel control skills to maintain safety and proper navigation.* To say hello use your own voice, wave, or make contact by radio.
Of course, as I got a bit older... those loose straps on a sunning girls bikini did get a few toots and a whistle over the hailer if she happened to roll over or jump up!*
biggrin.gif

Edelweiss wrote:

I hear people yelling on CH 16 all the time at some boater who cut them off, didn't yield, threw a wake, etc. *But I never hear the offending boat answer back. *I guess when you don't care, you're not likely to be listening to the radio either?? *Maybe it's a method for the offended vessel to blow off steam though?

They aren't listening to the radio or if they are, they aren't going to appologize to someone who just cursed at them or called them a name.

If someone asked me nicely to slow down, move over, etc., I would respond and do so.* If someone called me a "stupid f**k", I would ignore him.

And if someone broadcasts "Thanks for the wake, moron.", there isn't really an appropriate response that won't make matters worse.

RE: Throwing a wake where people are fishing:

No wake was thrown because it was a no wake zone anyway but; On a recent trip on the ICW in Charleston, SC, as I entered a narrow, curving part of the ICW, I encountered five or six small boats full of people anchored and fishing in the center of the channel. I also had to deal with a large boat coming the other way. Both the big boats got through OK, but the guys in the little boats fishing looked at me like I had no business being that close to them. Where was I supposed to go?

There should be a law against anchoring in a narrow channel and it should be enforced by ticketing the offenders. You're not allowed to park your car in the middle of a highway.

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 4th of November 2011 06:26:05 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 4th of November 2011 06:27:13 AM

rwidman wrote:

There should be a law against anchoring in a narrow channel and it should be enforced by ticketing the offenders.
I thought there was a law!* No?* Maybe I was just projecting a little common sense.

I have a cheat sheet, bought at West Marina, at the helm with the sound signals, but very seldom have I had to use going 5 to 10 knots. *Most boaters do not know that they mean as they will SMILE AND WAVE TO YOU., WHICH IS FAR BETTER than driving a vehicles as they give you the middle finger wave, and yell nasty words*
furious.gif

At 7 to 10 knots the Eagles wake is less than 1 ft.* *We can cruise through fishing boats without disturbing them.* *In the Puget Sound* 99% are trolling at 3 to 5 knots.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 4th of November 2011 10:29:13 AM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom