Is it a Yacht or Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I think somewhere around here was a question of whether a particular boat was a yacht or a boat.

One answer was Yachts have icemakers if I recall correctly.

I think I came up with another distinction. A stand up, air conditioned engine room = yacht.

Of course, if some mechanic is doing the work, it doesn't matter that much.

Kind of reminds me of the difference between yachting and cruising. Cruising is repairing your boat in exotic locations while yachting is watching your yacht being repaired in exotic locations.

I really enjoyed the Palm Beach Boat Show! Especially the Kadey Krogen and Hampton booths!

I think somewhere around here was a question of whether a particular boat was a yacht or a boat.

One answer was Yachts have icemakers if I recall correctly.

I think I came up with another distinction. A stand up, air conditioned engine room = yacht.

Of course, if some mechanic is doing the work, it doesn't matter that much.

Kind of reminds me of the difference between yachting and cruising. Cruising is repairing your boat in exotic locations while yachting is watching your yacht being repaired in exotic locations.

I really enjoyed the Palm Beach Boat Show! Especially the Kadey Krogen and Hampton booths!

Let the fun begin.....:popcorn:

A boat takes you places, a yacht inflates your ego.

When hailing commercial traffic I identify myself as “yacht boat name” not sure if that is right or wrong but makes it clear to the pros that I am not.

The definition of yacht spans any boat used for pleasure to 145’ and above w X number of paid crew .....

There may be some yachts on this forum ... opinion

IMHO a yacht has a paid crew. My wife works for wine so my boat is just that: a boat.

I agree Mike.
Hope you wer’nt think’in someone would disagree w ya.

When hailing commercial traffic I identify myself as “yacht boat name” not sure if that is right or wrong but makes it clear to the pros that I am not.

I state "Motor Yacht (MY) Alaskan Sea-Duction" or ASD for short

Greetings,
I've heard a couple of definitions NOT dependent on size or paid crew:

-In Europe, any sailing vessel is a yacht.
-Any boat used strictly for pleasure can be called a yacht.
-Any boat with a saloon rather than a salon can be classed as a yacht (OK, I just made that last one up...ALL boats have saloons).

I’ve worked on many vessels of many types, and the ones I called yachts are the ones where it was forbidden to fish from them.

I've always thought the dividing line was a upscale dress code. Kind of like dinner at the yacht club.

Ted

A Yacht will have a set of lights on a mast or raised location.

One white , 360 one blue 360.

Signaling

"Owner Absent or Crew at Meals "

"Yacht" is what you call your boat when talking about it to anyone who'll never see it.

So, are you now thinking about buying another "boat" or "yacht" after just selling your Prairie?

The term "yacht" is used differently depending on your geographic location.

In Australia and Europe, a yacht is a sailing vessel above dinghy size.

In some areas, it seems that using the term "yacht" is too pretentious by most people. (but some of the same people buy a fake dome to ensure their non-yacht looks perfectly balanced)

The term "yacht" is used differently depending on your geographic location.

In Australia and Europe, a yacht is a sailing vessel above dinghy size.

In some areas, it seems that using the term "yacht" is too pretentious by most people. (but some of the same people buy a fake dome to ensure their non-yacht looks perfectly balanced)

How does having an eye for proportion and beauty make you pretentious?

We just call ours a boat. ‘Nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom