Really???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Last edited:
I knew these existed but had no idea they are ridiculously expensive!

Idiocy!

A lot more boats have them than you realize. Mostly larger yachts where they're used for aesthetics to balance the other genuine dome. I don't know of any instances where someone has a sole dummy dome just for giving the illusion of a functional one.

A lot more boats have them than you realize. Mostly larger yachts where they're used for aesthetics to balance the other genuine dome.

Yes, that is the reason. If you mount your functional dome off of the boats center line, it looks odd. Two domes look balanced. I briefly considered a second dome until seeing the price and then choose a different mounting location for other reasons.

Ted

We have a second “dummy” dome. It was added by previous owner. It is actually useful. It has gps and AIS antennas in it. Much more clean looking than having those all over the place.

If it were me though, I wouldn’t even have satellite TV.

what the market will bear....

and the rediculous amount of money that people spend on their boats for aesthetics or to stay as technical as a Seawolf class sub should be no suprise after a few days reading TF..... :)

What ps said. "Falsies"

Reminds me of the plastic testicles, available in various sizes, that some folks have installed in their neutered (male) dogs. Presumably so that their precious won't be embarrassed during sniff-ins.

All Ranger Tugs have domes. A large percentage of those are dummy domes because the purchaser did not opt for the tv option.

What? I didn't think all ranger tugs had domes? Are you sure about that?

Agree, googled Ranger Tugs for sale.... out of the first 20 I saw, probably half did not have domes, most had radar though.

first 2 out of 3 Ranger 29s on yahtworld, no dome.

I just looked on Yacht world and the first 8 that came up all had domes I stopped looking after that.

here was the second one I came across.... I will stop wasting everyones time now.... not all have them.

Attachments

• 6648851_20180315204939433_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6648851_20180315204939433_1_XLARGE.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 127
That link doesn't seem to work for me. What's the cost?

I'll fess up, I have a dummy dome for exactly the reasons stated. It would look really odd having just one testicle off on the side, where two look much better. I got mine used from the installer and don't recall the cost, but a quick google search suggests around $300.

TT, if you have a close up picture of the Sat Domes on your mast, could you post or send me a PM?

You mean for roughly a boat buck, I could look like the big guys?!

That link doesn't seem to work for me. What's the cost?

I'll fess up, I have a dummy dome for exactly the reasons stated. It would look really odd having just one testicle off on the side, where two look much better. I got mine used from the installer and don't recall the cost, but a quick google search suggests around $300.

Not sure why the link doesn't work for you (are you on your phone or tablet?).

They range in price from $300 to $1k.

I have a dome...

Attachments

• 4B9D61CE-6EBA-4DCC-B2CE-2A28B9364844.jpg
    4B9D61CE-6EBA-4DCC-B2CE-2A28B9364844.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 83
Both are the real deal here. Empty domes go up in price as the size goes up. I bought my KVH Tracphone V7 used and replaced the dome. $1200 for a new V7 dome.

Twistedtree I love your boat.

Cheers!

If I'm going to have two fake domes on my boat, I want to make them look like this. Hoping it will cut down on rude wakes!
0c6f283d5dff68e95f137aa601e38ffa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom