View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #28
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppop View Post
Wanted to follow up with a final reply to our post from 2 years ago. We did end up purchasing a Nordhavn 55 in 2016 in SoCal- but we chose not to buy the boat with damage. We had the damaged boat under contract and even had it surveyed but I was too fearful that we would have trouble selling it when we finished our 18 month voyage. Instead we bought a beautiful Nordhavn 55 (hull number 40) called Skallawag from a very nice gentleman in San Diego that was a cream puff, professionally maintained (even had a full time professional captain!) zero damage perfect specimen, and I am glad we did. It was more expensive- but maybe LESS expensive net net net- but we had very few problems with our boat during the 2,500+ hours we ran her.

We bought the boat around May 20, 2016, received a crash course on boat systems, then left SoCal on June 1, 2016 and headed north to Alaska, south through BC, the San Juan Islands, Anacortes, south where we spent 2 months in Mexico, a month in Costa Rica, Panama, through the canal, San Blas Islands, Cartagena, over to Punta Cana in the DR, across to Puerto Rico, on to Turks & Caicos, the Bahamas, brief stop in south Florida, straight shot to Rhode Island, up to Maine, then slowly south along the east coast with considerable time spent in Chesapeake Bay. The boat is now for sale and our journey has, sadly, ended. It was the trip of a lifetime for me, my wife, our 11 year old son and our 23 year old niece. We were all new to boating, which made the experience that much more interesting (and exciting).

We received lots of valuable information from the TF gurus- thanks to those that were so helpful.

Cheers
The Big U plus some. Great trip.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote