Fuel storage for your tender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I was wondering what most of you do about keeping fuel for the tender. Do you just store it in 5 gal. cans? If so where do you keep them? On the other hand do you have a dedicated seperate tank just for gas, and if so, how do you pump the fuel out to fill the tender?

With my 3.5 Mercury (Tohatsu) I go through about 2 gallons a year so that means two fill ups on my 1.5 plastic can. I purchase nonethanol and then add a stabilizer (Starbright I think).

My 6hp O/B has a separate 3.5 gallon tank, if it gets low I just fill it up a the next stop. It takes a long time for us to burn through much gas.
I carry my Livingston dinghy horizontally off Kato davits so the fuel tank stays on it in a molded in open compartment. I add stabilizer and Seafoam gas tratment to the gas, and try to use non ethanol gas which is easy to get around here.
Steve W.

I have a 6 gal and a 3 gal tank. Depends on the plans which is aboard, sometimes both are. I also have a 2 1/2 gal "jerry can" that I can carry. The 15 hp*2 cycle Yamaha is so much easier on fuel than the 8 hp Eveinrude I got used to. So I am still figuring out what I really need to carry.

knotheadcharters wrote:
I was wondering what most of you do about keeping fuel for the tender
*The 4hp 4-stroke Yamaha on our Livingston has*a built-in fuel tank that is sufficient for quite*a number*of short shoreruns.* We have a two gallon plastic gas can for refilling the motor's tank and a three-gallon "flat" gas can with an outboard hose fitting and gauge for when we use the dinghy for longer trips, like fishing.* Both cans are stored in the sailing dinghy that sits in a cradle on top of the aft cabin.* We also keep the small propane bottles for our portable cabin heater in there.* Any gas or propane*fumes will drain out the two drain holes in the keel of the sailing dinghy and spill overboard.

I carry my fuel jugs on the swimgrid. Two x 5 gal diesel for my diesel stove, 1x5gal gas + the 3 gal. o.b. tank itself but all of them outside.

I have a 15 HP 2 stroke Johno on the back of my dinghy and when away I use it a lot for exploring and fishing.
usually carry about 120 lts of fuel.
Fuel tank in dinghy and 5 x 20 lt Jerry cans.
These I store in my large storage box on the top pof the wheel house.
The propane bottles are also in a dedicated storage box on top of the wheel house.

I have wee 4 stroke Honda (air-cooled, so no flushing needed) 2.5hp for my ducky, and it has an integral tank which, as others have mentioned, lasts quite a few trips. However, I keep reserve fuel (high premium octane, non-ethanol petrol - gas in the US), in a 5 litre fuel container, tightly capped, in the lazarette, along with my spare coolant, oil, and other etceteras. If it ever caught fire down there, then we are already in deep s*** anyway, I figure, and the dinghy is in an instant launch position, with oars in place, just in case of disaster, at all times.

5 gallon cans in the upper deck propane locker, since it's vented.

New Moon has a separate 10-gal partition built into one of the 60-gal diesel tanks, for gas for the 4-stroke kicker.*

When we need more dinghy fuel, we pump it with the kicker's fuel line bulb into a 1-gal plastic fuel jug, and mix in the 2hp Yamaha's two-stroke oil.* This is enough for four fillings of its tiny built in tank, and 20 miles or so in the Avon Redcrest.* For the pumping to work, we made up a male fuel line connector on a short tube that connects to the kicker's fuel line.

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 5th of November 2011 07:45:39 AM

Storing fuel , esp if oiled for more than a month is never worth it.

Dump it in your car to get rid of it.

IF someone really will be away long enough to need to store fuel, the best is to go to the local airport and get fuel with zero ethanol.

Then mix it an small batches (2 stroke) , that can be burned in a week.

I would love to build a kit so folks with 4 strokes could convert to propane , with no shelf life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom