Hi from new zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sleaper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
MV Takapu 2
Vessel Make
ex HMNZS Patrol Craft 94'
Hi everyone,

Thank you for being so welcoming to the forums. I thought I would drop a quick intro.

pictures and info here : www.takapu.com

I recently upgraded my boat from a 19' bayliner bowrider to a 94', 100 tonne ex navy ship which I now live aboard full time.

Currently I am out of the water ( back in tomororw having completed 100 hours at the helm driving and getting to know her over the last 10 weeks.

While out I am having the bum sandblasted and repainted, engines having a tickle and tidying odd's like the water tanks, shaft seals, all bearings etc. Also completing and trouble shooting some electrical stuff

The boat was in great condition, but like most boat owners i wanted to establish my own baseline and really check everything out.

She has had a superyacht fit out on the interior by one owner who has had her for 17 years since she left the navy.

Here is a bit of info on our boat:

Construction: Steel hull. Aluminium topsides. 10 watertight compartments (tankage and void spaces). 8 water tight compartments (cabins and engineering spaces) with water tight doors. Built in NZ by WECO in Whangarei for the NZ Navy in 1980.

Cabins: 3 x double all with island berths and ensuites. Plus 1 x twin 1 x crew 1 x single bunk on bridge.

Length overall:28.6m/94 ft

Beam: 6.2m/20.5 ft

Draft: 2.4m/7.8 ft

Displacement: 100 tons

Builder: Whangarei Engineering and Construction Company. WECO

Year: 1980

Engines: 2 x Cummins KT 1150 derated to 330hp each

Cruising speed: 9.5 knots (12.5 knots max.)

Generators: 1 x Cummins 50kw, 1 x Northern Lights generator 10kw/Victron inverter 9kw/200amp charger combo giving 19kw total. Both 400V 3 phase with 240V single phase transformers. Generators, inverters and transformers wired for 100% redundancy in case either system fails. 1040 amp hour 24v house batteries.

Charger: 400V 3 phase giving 50amp 24V backup.

Steering: Wagner with 2 x 3phase steering pumps and Comnav Auto Pilot.

Fuel capacity: 12,600 litres tankage (3,500 imp gallons; 4,200 US gallons)

Fuel pump: 3 phase Mono pump with hand pump backup from holding tanks to 1800 litre day tank giving gravity feed to engines.

Range: 3,500 nautical miles at cruising speed of 9.5 knots

Fresh water: 7,000 litres (1,500 imp gallons; 1,850 US gallons) with 2 x single phase pressure pumps

2 x 180litre hot water cylinders 1 is 240Volt and 1 heated from waste genny heat.

Water maker 220L per hour.

Holding tanks: Grey water 2,000 litres (440 imp gallons; 520 US gallons)

Black water 3000 Litres(650 imp gallons , 800US gallons)

Both with dock and stern discharge outlets.

Toilets: 4 x Raritan delux electric

GPS: Furuno fixed. 1 handheld. Lowrance plotter and PC plotter.

Plotter/Sounder/Radar: Lowrance HDS 12 with 4g radar.

Communications: VHF and Icon SSB radios, sailmail e-mail.

Stability: Stabilising flume tank

Laundry: Samsung 7KG front loader washing machine. F & P dryer.

Air conditioning and heating: 3.5KW domestic split system

Galley: Fully equipped home style galley with LG French door fridge freezer, dishwashers, twin sinks, electric kettle, Delongi coffee machine, bread maker, microwave, Bakbar commercial oven, 4 hotplate cooktop, large chest freezer, large walk in pantry, deep fryer etc.

Workshop: Dedicated workshop with Lathe, drill press, mig/tig steel and aluminium welder, large work bench and Vice plus tools required for most maintenance jobs including 5 yearly survey work.

Tender: 4.5M alloy pontoon boat with 2017 50hp outboard.

Last edited:
Crickey !
Talk about out of the frying pan, any chance of a pic or two ?
I get ribbed about having a 66 footer so now your my poster boy for big boats.
Did a lap of the South Island last year, you sure do have a lot of incredible scenery over there.
Good luck and happy trails.

RT Firefly. Sadly - the 19' found a new home .. on a lake somewhere warm. It was a ski boat - so no good for the big rough seas.

Hello here.

The missus is a Kiwi, born in Napier, Hawke's Bay. Her dad was a journalist at the Auckland Star.

That’s a lotta boat. Be a cool South Pacific Island boat.
Have you had a chance to use the Flume stabilizers? A bit unusual in a boat that size. More usually seen in cruise ships and big passenger ferries.

Hello here.

The missus is a Kiwi, born in Napier, Hawke's Bay. Her dad was a journalist at the Auckland Star.

Napier is a beautiful city. I spent some of my youth there attending Napier Boys. Anyone from the Hawkes Bay is a great catch.

Thanks for the welcome.

That’s a lotta boat. Be a cool South Pacific Island boat.
Have you had a chance to use the Flume stabilizers? A bit unusual in a boat that size. More usually seen in cruise ships and big passenger ferries.

Hi McGillicuddy,

Yes - the boat as been all over the pacific.

Yes - The flume tank is always in use. It works perfectly at anchor and while are the marina and really does help in big seas.

Years went into the design and build of the tank to get it right, but I would say the owner persisted with good results in the end. Around 800 litres sits in the tank.

Thanks for that Bob,

I have bookmarked your blog. How very exciting - The home stretch now it seems. I look forward to following the journey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom