Replacing Window Glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pete of EYC

Hello,
I am new to trawlers and this forum. I just purchased a 1984 Golden Star 38' sundeck trawler and l am looking forward to restoring her. I am hoping someone has a few tips on removing the exterior teak window trim and stainless window channels to repair a broken window. The trim is approximately 1 3/4" wide and fully adhered to the exterior fiberglass of the salon. After hours of slicing, scraping, and using a multitool I have managed to remove 3 of the 4 pcs. (after removing screws of course). Is there any special tools, solvents,:banghead: or tricks to this extremely tedious process. Any help is appreciated!

Some pictures would most likely help in getting some responses. Many have been through the same thing but hard to know exactly what you are dealing with without seeing what you are dealing with. Welcome to TF!

"tricks to this extremely tedious process. Any help is appreciated!"

Time is your friend , a chisel just tapped into a tight goop line will lift the item in a few hours.

There are also "debonding" fluids for where someone used glue (like 5200) instead of a sealant.

Wish I could help, but my 1985 38" GoldenStar does not have exterior window trim.
A look through the Taiwanese builders page should find something, as I'm pretty sure I have read a few posts over the years. Other Taiwanese built boats use the same basic window and trim style.

Interesting, I will give it a try. I have never heard of a de-bonding fluid, this adhesive is as tenacious as 5200!

I had some leaky sliding windows. All of my windows are framed on both inside and outside with 2" to 3" Teak.
I took the inside frames off and found that I could remove the glass and replace the channels, while repairing the damaged interior paneling, all from inside. The plugs can easily be broken out, then the screws removed and the frames pried off of the walls. Replacement is just as easy.
I haven't tried that on fixed windows, though I will be doing one this year, as I have one with cracked glass, so stay tuned.

How does the goldenstar behave in rough seas? Any comment on this will be appreciated.

Golden star in the rough seas

I am the second owner so far just skipping around the Chesapeake Bay. The previous owner and his wife log 3500 hours sale in the Caribbean south and central America has liver boards for 22 years. They raved about the boat and how sturdy she was and I haven’t seen anything that would make me think otherwise. I am planning on doing the I CW and jumping over to the Bahamas in another year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom