LED Reading Lights Source?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
I'd like to replace all 4 reading light fixtures on board with LED's. Have been doing some online searching this evening and haven't come up with anything that somewhat matches the incandescent fixtures that appear to be OEM.
Anyone have a source for traditional style fixtures that are designed for LED bulbs?

If you like the fixtures you have, why not just re-lamp them with LEDs? That's what I did with both overhead dome lights and bulkhead-mounted reading lights.

Most of ours originally had twin-lead halogen lamps, so pulling the halogens and substituting twin-lead LEDs was easy. There were a couple of fixtures that had push-and-twist incandescent lamps in them, and they received adapters so they could take the twin-lead LEDs.

Last edited:
Check with RV sites , or visit a local RV/camper store.

If you like the fixtures you have, why not just re-lamp them with LEDs? That's what I did with both overhead dome lights and bulkhead-mounted reading lights.

Most of ours originally had twin-lead halogen lamps, so pulling the halogens and substituting twin-lead LEDs was easy. There were a couple of fixtures that had push-and-twist incandescent lamps in them, and they received adapters so they could take the twin-lead LEDs.

By twin lead do you mean the little bulb has two little metal prongs that you plug into the fixture? If so, that’s the kind of bulbs on our boat.
And also if so, are you saying there is a two prong LED bulb I can just replace them with?

Sorry for the very non technical terms..I just want to make sure I understand.

A picture of your bulbs would be helpful. Or, go to the Marinebeam (highly recommended) site's buld section and see what matches; any questions give them a call, they are helpful and knowledgeable. If you like your current fixtures, no need to replace those.

Thanks Menzies, that appears to be an exact replacement.

Since the current fixtures are 34 years old, I'd like to replace the whole unit. I do understand that in most cases you can use whatever and find an LED bulb for it and maybe I'l go that route.

I replaced all the bulbs in my overhead fixtures with LED’s I found in an auto parts store. I didn’t do anything with the reading lamps in the vee berth yet.

By twin lead do you mean the little bulb has two little metal prongs that you plug into the fixture? If so, that’s the kind of bulbs on our boat.
And also if so, are you saying there is a two prong LED bulb I can just replace them with?

Sorry for the very non technical terms..I just want to make sure I understand.

Yup. The old lamps were "G4" base; they were halogen lamps with two wire prongs, as shown here:

B891-2T.jpg

The overhead dome lights got "side prong" LED lamps:

marine-g4-15led-bulb-sidepin-cool-white-1-500x500.jpg

...while the reading lights got "rear prong" LED lamps:

G4_Back_-_Bee_Green_LED_Lg4b10cw_-_Lg4b10ww_-_Lg4b10rd_-_Lg4b10bu__95131.1328644828.285.365.jpg

I bought through http://superbrightleds.com because I've bought a bunch of vehicle lamps from them in the past and because they're really inexpensive compared to the stuff in the marine stores.

I will say that the halogen lamps have a taper on the end of the little prongs while the LED replacements are square-cut. They don't slide into the fixture easily...it takes a little fiddling, but they seat very nicely once started.

Last edited:
X2 on MarineBeam.com
I have had very good luck with their LED replacements.

Yup. The old lamps were "G4" base; they were halogen lamps with two wire prongs, as shown here:

B891-2T.jpg

The overhead dome lights got "side prong" LED lamps:

marine-g4-15led-bulb-sidepin-cool-white-1-500x500.jpg

...while the reading lights got "rear prong" LED lamps:

G4_Back_-_Bee_Green_LED_Lg4b10cw_-_Lg4b10ww_-_Lg4b10rd_-_Lg4b10bu__95131.1328644828.285.365.jpg

I bought through http://superbrightleds.com because I've bought a bunch of vehicle lamps from them in the past and because they're really inexpensive compared to the stuff in the marine stores.

I will say that the halogen lamps have a taper on the end of the little prongs while the LED replacements are square-cut. They don't slide into the fixture easily...it takes a little fiddling, but they seat very nicely once started.

Thank you VERY much. That was extremely helpful. That first bulb picture looks like the bulbs in our fixtures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom