Marine AC install hep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Last summer I bought a new AC unit before my Bahamas trip for the pilothouse but because of time constraints I didn’t get it installed before I left. Well, I STILL haven’t installed the stupid thing.

I made my life harder by not buying the identical unit that is currently in the boat. I purchased a unit locally (back when I had the boat in Stuart) from Ocean Breeze in Stuart Fl and I currently have a Marine Air Systems unit in there now. I thought I would be able to do the install myself, but when I looked at the electrical box it’s definitely not a “plug and play” type scenario, and with my bad electrical skills I’m afraid to tackle the job.

Can anyone recommend a contractor in the Sarasota/Bradenton area who could do this job correctly and at a reasonable price hopefully? Or, should I read up and just try it myself?

The units have the same basic footprint and vent location, but the connections in the electrical box are different. I’ll admit I just glanced at the schematics briefly and decided I didn’t want to mess with it, so it might not be all that complicated.

This is the unit I bought:

16,000 BTU Self-contained Marine Air Conditioning Unit
OB16CH16,700 BTU
(4.89 kWh)
(4,211.1 kcal)
13.26 amps at 120V
562 cfm
71 lbs.
IMG_2754.jpg

Being a small company OB has very good technical support with a real person. Give them a call and might be able to talk you through your issues.

If you call them and get some help and you have some basic DIY skills you should be able to do the install. I have done A/C installs on 4 different boats. The electrical is pretty easy. The duct work is usually the most difficult. Do you have a place to get the water for the cooling water pump to get water? If not you will have to install a seacock. Still it is about a 4 or 5 on the DIY scale.

There is an existing unit there I’m just replacing, so all cooling water lines are in place and ductwork is run.

The electrical part is what concerns me.

That should not be too difficult. You bought an Ocean Breeze unit, right? I had one years ago and their phone support was good. Try giving them a call.

Last summer I bought a new AC unit before my Bahamas trip for the pilothouse but because of time constraints I didn’t get it installed before I left. Well, I STILL haven’t installed the stupid thing.

I made my life harder by not buying the identical unit that is currently in the boat. I purchased a unit locally (back when I had the boat in Stuart) from Ocean Breeze in Stuart Fl and I currently have a Marine Air Systems unit in there now. I thought I would be able to do the install myself, but when I looked at the electrical box it’s definitely not a “plug and play” type scenario, and with my bad electrical skills I’m afraid to tackle the job.

Can anyone recommend a contractor in the Sarasota/Bradenton area who could do this job correctly and at a reasonable price hopefully? Or, should I read up and just try it myself?

The units have the same basic footprint and vent location, but the connections in the electrical box are different. I’ll admit I just glanced at the schematics briefly and decided I didn’t want to mess with it, so it might not be all that complicated.

This is the unit I bought:

16,000 BTU Self-contained Marine Air Conditioning Unit
OB16CH16,700 BTU
(4.89 kWh)
(4,211.1 kcal)
13.26 amps at 120V
562 cfm
71 lbs.
View attachment 74328
You should not curse your wonderful marine equipment- it has a memory and may strike back sometime.

That should not be too difficult. You bought an Ocean Breeze unit, right? I had one years ago and their phone support was good. Try giving them a call.

Will do. Thanks.

You might do all the physical R&R that takes lots of time and just have the tech hook up the last few wires.

You might do all the physical R&R that takes lots of time and just have the tech hook up the last few wires.

That’s a really good idea. I can handle the R&R, hooking up hoses, etc. I just have a phobia when it comes to high voltage wiring on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom