Add USS Juneau to the "found" list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh - that should be one very nasty looking wreck. I recall reading about it in Samuel Eliot Morison's Guadalcanal entry in the lengthy history of the navy in WWII. The detonation was instantly catastrophic and the ship disappeared in a blur, IIRC from eyewitness accounts. That is one wreck/grave site I for one would rather not see.

On the other hand, documenting these has a new importance from what I understand. A number of WWII wrecks have been looted and pilfered by Chinese salvage companies to get radiation-free steel for medical and other technical uses. I've heard a large number of wrecks and grave sites have simply disappeared in the last 10 to 15 years. Getting these tagged and monitored is a very worthy goal.

Glad they are finding these ships. I hope they start looking for the US submarines on "Eternal Patrol" that were never found.

yeah...I had a brain lapse there. I followed the link that was posted...then clicked on another...and another.....and forgot what sub we were talking about.

I hope they keep quiet about the location. Sure they are down 4000m, but will that be deep enough? So far several Dutch warships from the Battle of the Java Sea have been desecrated and salvaged for their pre-atomic steel by pirates.Who knew that even was a thing?

Evidently steel made before the Trinity test in 1944 is in huge demand to make hyper sensitive radiation detection and analysis equipment and the thick armor plating on old warships is a good place to find it.

Last edited:
Glad they are finding these ships. I hope they start looking for the US submarines on "Eternal Patrol" that were never found.

High Wire, I ask this as a submarine sailor,..... What benefit can be achieved, other than locating our lost submarines. There will not be any remains to recover and in my mind, it would be disturbing a grave. Sure do a 'fly by' if you insist, look for external damage but please, leave it undisturbed.

If I had gone down on a submarine, I would rather remain undisturbed.

High Wire, I ask this as a submarine sailor,..... What benefit can be achieved, other than locating our lost submarines. There will not be any remains to recover and in my mind, it would be disturbing a grave. Sure do a 'fly by' if you insist, look for external damage but please, leave it undisturbed.

If I had gone down on a submarine, I would rather remain undisturbed.

As one who has visited wrecks with lost souls, I’m in agreement. It’s a grave. Treat it as such, with a high degree of respect and undisturbed. We visit graves, but don’t dig them. No reason to treat a wreck any different. I prefer leaving artifacts as well. Once upon a time we tried to document with video alone. Then one of our own founders got bitten with the artifact bug and Inexplicably secreted a bunch of china. We found out and made sure the China found its way back. It’s a big problem. When there is perceived treasure on these sites, just very hard to manage, even when you think you know someone.

I will say, I’ve visited wrecks that I did not know the fate of the passengers and hit the surface telling others that it was a grave and later proven correct. I don’t know how, but it’s an obvious thing. Respect it as such as the souls left behind certainly earned the right in every meaningful way.

About 10 miles north of Sydney, off Long Reef Beach, lies the wreck of a Japanese mini submarine. It sank with 2 crew on board after attacking Sydney during WW2.
The wreck is gazetted as a war grave,and has a beacon over it to alert authorities to any intrusion. I recognize that at a practical level intrusion could still occur, but hope it does not.This is how it should be, I hope the Juneau will be similarly respected despite being so much further offshore.

Back
Top Bottom