View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
What would you do?

Quote:
RickB wrote:

Never, never, turn that kind of project over to a yard or any contractor. Nothing good will come of it and while that is a fact it is not because yards or contractors are bad or crooked, it is because it is not their boat or their money (though a lot of yours will be theirs by the time it's all over) and they cannot possibly see your vision with any degree of clarity.

That's sound thinking, and when I said a turnkey project I did not mean that we would give them the boat and go away until it was done.* Regardless of which yards or companies did the work, we would be monitoring it on a very frequent basis.* My use of the word "turnkey" simply means we would not be doing any of the work ourselves.

The complete rebuild--- well, it's not a total rebuild, so maybe refit is the better word--- of the GB36 would be considerably less expensive than buying a different boat.* A contributor, albeit not a major one--- particularly in today's market--- to the price of the larger boat would be the sale of the GB36.*

Another factor would be whether or not to repower the GB.* As I have stated before, I am not a fan of the Ford Lehman 120 for a lot of reasons.* We would both prefer newer, quieter, cleaner, more efficient engines.* But..... the FL120s have only about 2500 hours on them at this point.* They run fine (today, who knows about tomorrow).* One option would be to keep them but sequester (invest) the funds to replace them should the need arise.

Contrary to what some have assumed, we are not in love with the GB36 (or any of the GB line, for that matter).* There are other boat configurations that we prefer, the Fleming being at the top of that list.* So we have no "special attachment" to our boat.* It's basically well made and is very well suited for the waters we cruise in or will be cruising in.* It's overall configuration has proven to work very wel for us over the last 13 years.* The devil's in the details--- the settee cushions are very un-ergonomic, for example. The forward head, as tiny as it is, could be reconfigured to make it more user-friendly. And so on.

So why put a ton of money into completely restoring it?* Because we also don't want to buy another owner's (or multiple owners') problems (again).* We know this boat inside and out now.* We know all the problems, potential problems, and deficiencies in the original fitting out at American Marine.* If we go and get a different boat we won't know any of this, but we won't have the funds to fix them outside of what we can do ourselves. So we'll be doing what we do now, which is fix or maintain stuff that comes up as best we can.

Not that things won't start to wear out the moment we start using the re-fitted GB36.* But, like a new car, we will at least be starting with a clean piece of paper.* And all those niggling problems that we have now and know how to fix but don't have the time or the tools or the skill to fix wil be gone.

Another factor was mentioned by an earlier poster.* A 36' boat is less expensive to moor and insure than a 55' boat.

PeterB mentioned the Europa as being a preferred configuration, with which both I and my wife agree.* You get that configuration automatically with the Fleming, which is by far and away our preference over the GB46 based on what we know right now about both boats.* However we have found in the last three years that there can be real advantages to having a tri-cabin, which is the main reason the GB46 is one of the two boats on our "different boat" list.* If the GB42 had been made with the same step-down aft cockpit as the original GB46s, it woud be on the list, too.* But if we chose Option 2, the Europa vs Tri-cabin is a decision we'll have to confront.* But we don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 01:23:28 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote