Bronze door rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazenza

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Rover
Vessel Make
CT 40 / Hartley Motor Sailor
Anyone know what this bronze sliding rail is called or a source for it? My sliding doors all ride on kind of rail except on one side where the rail is missing. Looking for a replacement. It’s just nailed into the bottom door frame w small brass nails. IMG_4407.jpg
IMG_4410.jpg
IMG_4409.jpg

I may be wrong but I think it is just a piece of round brass rod that is drilled so it can be tacked down with brass escutcheon pins or finish nails. I don’t think there is any weight on it. It is just there to keep the bottom of the door from swinging.

I don’t think you actually need bronze in that application.

Square brass key stock should work as well and would be easier to drill. Maybe they use round to avoid the sharp edge on square stock.

I may be wrong but I think it is just a piece of round brass rod that is drilled so it can be tacked down with brass escutcheon pins or finish nails. I don’t think there is any weight on it. It is just there to keep the bottom of the door from swinging.

I don’t think you actually need bronze in that application.

Square brass key stock should work as well and would be easier to drill. Maybe they use round to avoid the sharp edge on square stock.

In this case the full weight of the door rides on it. It doesn’t hang from the top like I’ve heard other people describe on the forum. It’s also not a perfect half round. It’s a little taller than it is wide and hollow. Like it was a tube that was cut in half and compressed slightly

You should be able to replace it with UHMW polyethylene. UHMWPE.
It can easily be cut with a table saw and drilled.
Use black for U.V. resistance. Natural white will croak in only a few years.
Just scrape the edges to remove the sharpness.
It is slippery.

Starboard would also work well. It is HDPE, high density polyethylene but pigment loaded for UV resistance, even the white.

You should not need brass/bronze in this application.

Would a piece of brass rub rail say 1 inch wide work?

Back
Top Bottom