Easy oil drain tap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simi 60

Guru
Vessel Make
Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Just bought one of these for the genset
$40 aud delivered sure beats the hot oil and lost drainplug shtfight I went through 100 hours ago.

draining-valve.png

EZ Oil Drain Valve - The Easiest Oil Change

I would get the optional hose end to go with it. Unless you have a lot of room under the genset, it will make it easier and less messy. The hose can connect to a hand pump and make quick work of it.

No need.
I have space and a hole for a funnel to sit in under the sump plug and on the underside of the box, space for a container to drain oil into.

Remote oil filter can be really nice and well worth it if it makes it easier to change the oil. It was one of the things I would have done with my Yanmar on my sailboat.

The reman Onan 6.5 MDKD fitted to my boat came with a convenient flexible oil drain tube( painted white like the rest of the genset),connected to a simple tap. Original or thoughtful addition?

I think an oil change pump is the way to go. In my case a line from each engine and each gearbox to a manifold (I only have portable Honda gennies) and some valves.

Attachments

• Oil change pump.jpg
    Oil change pump.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 95
I think an oil change pump is the way to go. In my case a line from each engine and each gearbox to a manifold (I only have portable Honda gennies) and some valves.

:thumb: +1

Have an oil change pump with manifold hooked to the engine, transmission, and generator. Couldn't be easier; just pump the oil into a 5 gallon sealed bucket.

Ted

I have an oil change pump to get out the 40 litres in the gearbox and 38 litres in the main engine.

The genset is waaaaaaay over there and not worth the drama or added expense of an oil change pump for 3.5 litres of oil IMHO.

Looking at remote oil filter for that genset as well seeing as that is a pain to access as well
$37 delivered

s-l400.jpg

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2Pcs-Oil-...m=311869098789&_trksid=p2056116.c100890.m2460

After today's debacle I can not in any way recommend these.

It weeped from day 1 between the engine and the fitting
Cranked it some more and still leaked but only minor so lived with it for a while.

Changed oil and filter so try and fix leak, removal saw deformed oring.
Replaced orings and used rtv silicon as well, still leaked.

Made full face paper gasket, must have been too thin, still leaked and worse than before.

Last ditch effort i made a rubber gasket 10mm wide to get full contact on faces, glued to adapter plate with rtv silicone.
Let it set up overnight, checked around edges to ensure gasket hadn't squeezed out of position.
Turned key this morning and shot full load of oil onto the floor.:facepalm:

Major inconvenience and many hours in cleaning and adapting vs 10 minutes cursing and swearing once a year changing hard to get at filter?
No contest

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom