Does anyone need crew or a delivery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish53

Guru
Vessel Name
Ana
Hi, Just curious if anyone may need crew or a delivery or just an experienced person to ride along and help as needed, I've been a licensed captain for over thirty years and going to sea for almost fifty having worked as a commercial fisherman. I have a 1600 ton masters license with unlimited radar, ARPA, GMDSS and advanced medical person in charge. I'm a reasonably good mechanic, have extensive seamanship skills, I'm a fair cook and to date no one has complained about my company. I'm 64 and in good health, no drugs, no criminal background and I've run boats up to 300 ft. on the east and west coasts with multiple trips to Alaska both outside and inside and fished in the Bering Sea for over twenty years. I'm not looking to make lots of money, expenses would be nice though and perhaps a gratuity. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions

Very impressive background. Would you be willing to share what your experience is on boats in the range owned by members here, 30-70', and with the engines and equipment as well as electronics most of these would have.

Not all of my experience has been on larger vessels or even saltwater for that matter. I grew up on one of the Finger Lakes in Western New York State and my first boat was a 12 ft. Sears aluminum rowboat with a six hp. Johnson outboard. I've owned a number of other boats since such as a Sisu 26 with a Volvo TAMD41A and a BHM 32 with a 245 Isuzu, a 38 Ft. Cape Dory trawler with a Deutz 1013. I presently own a Cape Dory 28 sailboat and I'm repowering and rebuilding a USCG motor whaleboat.

Last edited:
If you pm me. I’ll keep your contact. We have a 50 ft trawler on the east coast that I can frequently use a hand making passages as my wife does not.

My first boat was also a 10’ Sears jonboat with a 4 hp ESKA, later replaced with a 5 hp Merc. I recall that was 1968 or 69.

Thanks for considering me and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Last edited:
Not all of my experience has been on larger vessels or even saltwater for that matter. I grew up on one of the Finger Lakes in Western New York State and my first boat was a 12 ft. Sears aluminum rowboat with a six hp. Johnson outboard. I've owned a number of other boats since such as a Sisu 26 with a Volvo TAMD41A and a BHM 32 with a 245 Isuzu, a 38 Ft. Cape Dory trawler with a Deutz 1013. I presently own a Cape Dory 28 sailboat and I'm repowering and rebuilding a USCG motor whaleboat.

Thanks for the additional information. I would suggest making yourself known to captains and yacht managers in your area. They frequently need a crew member for trips they pick up and would likely do an initial trip or two to see how things worked out and then could develop into far more. Likely take you as a mate, with commensurate pay, which from what you wrote would seem ok with you.

There is an active yacht crew, engineer and Captains' group out of Seattle. They are frequently looking for capable hands. The first step is to be known and recognized within this organization. Networking amongst your peers could help you get a contact or two into this Seattle group. If you're interested.

I'm in Maine, you can PM me. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm not really looking for a job situation, I'm more interested in a casual arraignment. When I retired due to a health issue I placed my license in continuity with the USCG so I can't fill a position requiring a license. To reactivate my license would require a test, fire fighting school, radar renewal, and so on with the accompanying expense and I really just want to keep my life simple.

Last edited:
I'm not really looking for a job situation, I'm more interested in a casual arraignment. When I retired due to a health issue I placed my license in continuity with the USCG so I can't fill a position requiring a license. To reactivate my license would require a test, fire fighting school, radar renewal, and so on with the accompanying expense and I really just want to keep my life simple.

Sounds like what I suggested would be perfect for you. If you were in South Florida I know independent captains and yacht managers who would love to have another available hand with your experience.

With it topping out at a whooping 17 degrees today I wish I was in South Florida right now, 8 degrees tonight. I haven't been to Florida since the Deepwater Horizon fire in 2010 when I inspected contract boats for Bp.

With it topping out at a whooping 17 degrees today I wish I was in South Florida right now, 8 degrees tonight. I haven't been to Florida since the Deepwater Horizon fire in 2010 when I inspected contract boats for Bp.

Wifey B: In paradise today it's 83 degrees and seas are 1' at 7 seconds, so nearly glassy. :D

Good luck Fish. Take note of Sunchaser’s recommendation. You may not be looking for a job, but you might be able to find opportunities to fly out the West Coast and work on deliveries.

For example, I sold my 40’ Sailboat at the end of the year. The new buyers are from Vancouver WA. They know nothing about sailing and this is their first boat. They hired a delivery Captain to take the boat from Puget Sound to Vancouver. This is a relatively short trip, but not one to be taken lightly. The delivery captain dropped them off at Port Townsend and then, I assume, continued on with a crew member for the offshore trip to Vancouver. That would be a great option for someone with your experience. You have sea experience, you have held your own license, you know how to navigate, stand a watch, and how to sail a boat. You also are flexible in your schedule since you are retired. That is a huge advantage for a Captain looking for a reliever crew. You might be able to get a gig for a trip that would be interesting, take you to a different part of the work, and cover your costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom