• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: LTB 1997 or newer Bayliner 4788

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainSeanAK

Vessel Name
Sea Quest
Vessel Make
50' Armstrong Catamaran
Before you slam me for thinking about buying a Bayliner please understand that much consideration has gone into this decision and this vessel is the only boat that checks all our boxes. Thank you! West coast only..

A 4788 gives you a lot of boat for the money. You will find very little disdain for the large Bayliners among this crowd. They also tend to be a lot of them around on the market.

Good luck and welcome.

good boats. They have a few little quirks, but no more than any other. Hang out in the Bayliners Owners Club in the motoryacht section and you'll pick up quite a bit. I had a 4388 and it was a good boat.

toni

Thanks for the encouraging words, it's easy to get caught in the negative. One thing i've not read is any actual owners complaining. I't seems as if they are advocating for them 99% of the time.

I would have one if my boatyard could haul it. They are a great layout.

Are you in San Diego, or are you in Seward? Or are you like me in Seward wanting to winter in San diego?

If you have spent any time in Seward walking the docks you have seen my 4788 on F float.

Not many 4788’s for sale right now. I think only one or two. More buyers than sellers unfortunately. You missed a good one in Seward last summer. Will sold his over on E float, the one with the hard top

Thanks for the encouraging words, it's easy to get caught in the negative. One thing i've not read is any actual owners complaining. I't seems as if they are advocating for them 99% of the time.

They are great boats - we had both the 4588 and the 4788. Really a great combination of capabilities and 'cheap' for what you get.

KSanders, I have lived in Seward for 14 years. Owner operator of Alaska Northern Outfitters. You've probably seen the big aluminum cat (Sea Quest) My wife and I finally got smart three years ago and moved to San Diego during the off season. I'll be back up there April 10- Sept 1. We are looking for a liveaboard for here in SD. My wife lives down here full time.

I'm really interested in seeing if anyone has modified one to remove the second stateroom and expanded the owners room. Prob not a good idea, however I would be interested to see what it would look like.

KSanders, I have lived in Seward for 14 years. Owner operator of Alaska Northern Outfitters. You've probably seen the big aluminum cat (Sea Quest) My wife and I finally got smart three years ago and moved to San Diego during the off season. I'll be back up there April 10- Sept 1. We are looking for a liveaboard for here in SD. My wife lives down here full time.

Of course I’ve seen the boat!

To answer some questions and lend a hand regarding this model...

The 4788 went from balsa core decks to foam in 1994. I’ve heard roumor of some 1994 boats with balsa core decks. All 1995 and later boats had foam core decks.

I have little direct experience with the Hino engines except from other owners, and they are bulletproof. Parts sourcing can be more challengine than Cummins, but parts are available. The Cummins engines are well known as a good engine, but I am not convinced it’s a better engine than the Hino, just better supported.
As you know lots of Cummins B series engines get repowewred in a variety of hulls. I almost never hear of a Hino needing to be rebuilt.

The earlier boats had som exterior teak on the aft salon bulkhead and more teak in the interior. I have a newer boat (2001) and actually prefer the earlier interior because of the additional teak.

Good hunting, and Please stop by. We are on and off the boat starting last week.

BTW when you are looking at Marinas in San Diego, which one do you plan on using? We really likeed Chula Vista when were were down there, but it does not seem like it’s in the best part of town, although all marinas are separated from the local enviroment by nature.

Enjoy your boat, but please don't wake me with a large wave when passing. Thanks!

Are you in San Diego, or are you in Seward? Or are you like me in Seward wanting to winter in San diego?

If you have spent any time in Seward walking the docks you have seen my 4788 on F float.

Not many 4788’s for sale right now. I think only one or two. More buyers than sellers unfortunately. You missed a good one in Seward last summer. Will sold his over on E float, the one with the hard top

Of course I’ve seen the boat!

To answer some questions and lend a hand regarding this model...

The 4788 went from balsa core decks to foam in 1994. I’ve heard roumor of some 1994 boats with balsa core decks. All 1995 and later boats had foam core decks.

I have little direct experience with the Hino engines except from other owners, and they are bulletproof. Parts sourcing can be more challengine than Cummins, but parts are available. The Cummins engines are well known as a good engine, but I am not convinced it’s a better engine than the Hino, just better supported.
As you know lots of Cummins B series engines get repowewred in a variety of hulls. I almost never hear of a Hino needing to be rebuilt.

The earlier boats had som exterior teak on the aft salon bulkhead and more teak in the interior. I have a newer boat (2001) and actually prefer the earlier interior because of the additional teak.

Good hunting, and Please stop by. We are on and off the boat starting last week.

BTW when you are looking at Marinas in San Diego, which one do you plan on using? We really likeed Chula Vista when were were down there, but it does not seem like it’s in the best part of town, although all marinas are separated from the local enviroment by nature.

Great info, thank you. For some reason I had it in my head that they switched over in 1997. That definitely broadens the horizons. It seems the vessels matched with Hino power plants are priced much lower than those with cummins. I haven't had a good run with Cummins and i'm considering the Hino option. I pulled 2 brand new QSM11's out of our boat and put in John Deere 6125...great engine.

Here in SD you have so many options for moorage. It really depends on whether you want to live aboard or not. Chula Vista is a cheap option but very far south as well as a bit of a sketch area. I work on Harbor Island so being close to work and enjoying the amenities that the clubs offer is worth the price. Another to mention but isn't gated is Southwest Yacht Club in Point Loma. It's in a really nice part of town as well as Mission Bay Either Seaforth or Dana Landing.

There is a $250- $350 liveaboard fee on top of normal monthly dues.

Good luck in your search! I agree with the others. I think the majority of the Bayliner disdain comes from the smaller, I/O offerings. It's too bad that the company has such a love/hate following.

Good luck in your search! I agree with the others. I think the majority of the Bayliner disdain comes from the smaller, I/O offerings. It's too bad that the company has such a love/hate following.

Agreed. Much of the reputation springs from the runabout market. It was an entry level boat, bought by entry level boaters. A lot of these new owners made weird assumptions like "It's made to be used in the water, a little rain won't hurt it". Fast forward a decade and the boat has rotten floors that eventually creep into rotten stringers and transoms.

Now when that brand is the largest selling brand in that market outselling (in some cases) all other brands combined, people tend to associate the problem with Bayliners. Ironically, the Four Winns next door was susceptible to the same problem.

My parents had several Bayliner express cruisers when I was growing up. Best dollar/Ft value, and my mother still swears she couldn't find boats in that era laid out as well, or with equal storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom