Twin Ford Lehman 120hp diesels on Albin 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davb1947

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Molly
Vessel Make
Albin 36
Can anyone give me a reliable figure of gallons per hour fuel usage at cruising speed (7 knots) for this configuration? I would be much obliged.

Depends on many factors G/box ratio etc . If you PM me your email I'll send you the official fuel charts. Do you need the manuals etc? Have lots of info. Had lehmans in my trawler I lost in Irma.

Never checked consumption on my twin Lehmans, but I hear around 14L/PH combined. Never tested mine, but they are miserly on fuel.

So that would be about 3.7 gph. Thanks!

As an indication on the last few 3 month cruises we have averaged .76 and .81 Gall per NM. Running normally at 1750-1800rpm.

We had a Defever 43 with twin Lehman 120's usually allowed 4 US gallons per hour (15lph) at 7.5 knots when trip planning.
When I did a more accurate check it was 13.5 litre per hour.
Great engines, just change to the later type seawater pump if you can.

We get 4gpg at 1800rpm on ours.

As an aside, the cost of fuel is frequently mentioned as a concern but unless you are questioning the capacity or range, the cost of fuel is way down the list of things that will get you on a boat... Just sayin'

For a 36' at 7kts, twin 120's, I'd guess total of 3gph. Might be 4 if heavy and a big keel.

If this helps....I cruise at just under 2 gph on a Grand Banks 42 with a single lehman.

Over 12 years and thousands of hours, we have averaged 2.7gph total boat usage. This includes genset (7.5kw) and diesel heater in Alaska. We run about 1450 rpm which gives us around 7knots. Includes trolling time, strong currents running both with us and against us. Weeks of whale researching and rescue work, etc. So many variables for so many years.

Tator

Twin Lehman 120 Fuel Consumption Follow-up

We made the 1,000-mile trip from Sodus Point, NY, to St. Joseph, MI, and averaged around 2.5gph with Molly's twin Lehman 120s, running between 6.5-7knots at approximately 1500 RPM in mostly calm water. These numbers include whatever fuel might have also been consumed by Genset, although usage was minimal.

We made the 1,000-mile trip from Sodus Point, NY, to St. Joseph, MI, and averaged around 2.5gph with Molly's twin Lehman 120s, running between 6.5-7knots at approximately 1500 RPM in mostly calm water. These numbers include whatever fuel might have also been consumed by Genset, although usage was minimal.

Can’t complain about those numbers!

If you need, say, 70 horsepower to run your boat at hull speed, anything above 70 hp will just be wasting fuel and whatever your engines are, they will take pretty much the same amount of fuel to make 70 hp. Any combination of engines and manufacturer, the fuel consumption to make 70 hp will vary only slightly. If the bottom is dirty and you need 80 hp to do hull speed, more fuel burned. One engine 70 hp, 2 engines (about) 35hp each.

I made generalizations and guesses in this example but this is pretty much a rule of thumb.

I'm curious, are there any other Albin 36 owners out there with twin engines? I've seen two listed for sale online, as I recall: one in WA and the other?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom