View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Gratuitous horn blowing

Larry pretty much described the horn situation up here, only I have never heard a boat in our marina*blow it's horn on 4th of July except right after the city's big fireworks display which is put on out over the bay.* A few boaters sound their horns after the big finale but after a minute or so of this, threre's not a horn to be heard until the next 4th of July.

As to ladies avoiding tan lines, I have yet to see that in our marina (or anywhere else) because there is never any sun, plus it's almost always too cold for bikinis, anyway.

But different cultures, different practices. In east coast cities, people use their horns a lot in traffic.* So maybe this carries over into the use of boat horns,*too.* *

It is rare to ever hear a car horn used in the Puget Sound area or in all of Washington State, for that matter. In China drivers use their horns constantly to the point where a new traffic sign is appearing in many cities over there--- a horn in a circle with a diagonal bar thorugh it. It is a ticketable offence--- our bus driver was pulled over and issued a ticket for blowing his horn in the "no horn blowing" downtown core in Xiamen.

I guess boaters in the PNW, despite all the growth, would still rather listen to the water and seagulls and wind than somebody blowing their horn. In any event, it is very much frowned upon by pretty much everyone up here. If one does it in a marina, they generally get a number of very irate people yelling at them to "Shut the f*ck up."

So if you like blowing your horn, you don't want to be boating up here.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 06:27:24 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote