Bedding for wooden sliding window frames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kazenza

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Rover
Vessel Make
CT 40 / Hartley Motor Sailor
I am rebedding all the windows on my 81 CT Trawler. The fixed and sliding windows are trimmed and bedded in teak frames.

I am looking for advice for the best way to bed the new stainless steel window track and for rebedding the frames. There is a mix of silicone and other substances used to plug holes over the years, so cleaning everything up will be a mess.

I am considering butyl tape and am wondering if anyone has any experience with butyl for bedding windows in wood frames. I am presuming I would use it between the window channel and fixed part of the window as well as between the window frames and the inside and outside of the all. I have also seen recommendations elsewhere for bedding the window channel into the opening with epoxy. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Greetings,
Mr. k. Silicone....UGH!!!!! SATAN SAP! I think a mechanical scraping, sanding, washdown with Xylol and acetone might suffice. Once you're satisfied you have every last trace of the devil's goop removed it would be best IMO to seal all the wood with epoxy THEN decide what sealant to use. I would suggest Dolfinite (sp?) but I might be tempted to use butyl tape as well. Keep in mind they WILL have to be re-bedded at some time in the future and the use of either Dol' or but' tape will ensure easy removal. Again, MY opinion only. Use of a caulk or sealant means you or the next owner will have to go through exactly what you're doing now (minus the silicone, of course).

" I would suggest Dolfinite (sp?) but I might be tempted to use butyl tape as well. Keep in mind they WILL have to be re-bedded at some time in the future and the use of either Dol' or but' tape will ensure easy removal."

YES YES YES , rebedding is part of PM , it will need to be redone on windows and most deck and PH penetrations every so often, while the boat exists.

I've used silicone but wouldn't really recommend it. It's pretty messy and allows for a lot of movement of the frame before it sets up.

Where did you find stainless steel window track? I need to tackle this job on one of my sliders; I made a half hearted repair attempt using the existing track last year but it was pretty dinged up from multiple installs/tear downs and doesn't slide too well any more.

Defender. Stanpro window channel. Matches my old channel's exactly. R

Anyone know where to get the Stanpro window channel in Canada?

Anyone know where to get the Stanpro window channel in Canada?

Western Marine in Vancouver has it: STP 75000119 for single slider, 120 for double.
Wholesale only so you need to have an account or shop at a Marine Store that buys from them.

Or use the part no. at a Marine Store closer to home.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom