Looking for a good trawler charter in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juergen

Good day everybody, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to plan our first trawler vacation. I looked at a few charter companies and I found Chitwood Charters in Sarasota FL. I found some reviews online and they are not really convincing... Could anybody on this forum let me know how this charter company is and if there are any other charter companies out there what are worth to be checked out.
Thanks a lot for any input, cheers.

We very happily chartered from Chitwood, boats were in good condition. One oddity was that you had to make sure to specify upfront that you wanted a dinghy. Otherwise, at least the boats we used, no dinghy. Disclaimer: this experience was 12 years ago.

Chitwood and Southwest both have good reputations from those I've spoken to who have used one or both.

Have chartered with Southwest.

I would recommend them. They tend to be a bit heavy on the tipping thing for staff. Overall they represent the conditions of their boats accurately and they are good people to charter from.

There current location is in cape coral at Tarpon Pt marina. Great place, we stayed there a couple of days week before last when we cruised down from Clearwater.

We used Southwest 2 years ago and was so pleased we chartered from them 3 times

Thanks for your inputs! The one thing I don't like with Chitwood is that the dingy is 700 bucks extra for a week and especially the high deductible for the charter, $6600 for the 42' Grand Banks, that's hard to digest if something happens....
That's much more as SW, they have a $1800 deductible....
Are there any other charter companies out there?

Thanks for your inputs! The one thing I don't like with Chitwood is that the dingy is 700 bucks extra for a week and especially the high deductible for the charter, $6600 for the 42' Grand Banks, that's hard to digest if something happens....
That's much more as SW, they have a $1800 deductible....
Are there any other charter companies out there?

Get a policy of your own through your insurer to cover the deductible. If you have an umbrella policy get it to cover it.

Get a policy of your own through your insurer to cover the deductible. If you have an umbrella policy get it to cover it.

I called my Allstate insurance and they say there is nothing out there what would cover the deductible...
Would u know a insurance provider what would do that?

I called my Allstate insurance and they say there is nothing out there what would cover the deductible...
Would u know a insurance provider what would do that?

Most umbrella policies would or could. It might also just be how you choose which charterer. We are covered through our regular policy which was through Lloyd's and I forget for the moment who the actual insurer is, but we're just covered the same as we are for our boats so same deductible, nothing that would really help in your situation.

Wow, that 700 bucks for the dinghy could be a deal killer, I don't recall it being anywhere near that much if anything. But the total cost of the charter is what would determine that.

Capt Chitwood

Hello , Chitwood Charters is now 40 years old and the first to charter Grand Banks in the US . We do not put Dingys in the price of a charter because most clients go Resort to Resort . We are the least expensive in the charter business . Those who wish to add a dingy may choose to with out charges to those who will not use one. Add the charter and dink price and you are still at a great Value for the Dollar . Thank you all for your reviews and mostly a Great Big Thank You to my satisfied Clients who have kept us in business for the 40 years . This means the World to me !!! Capt Jerry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom