T/T on a dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Slow Lane
Vessel Make
2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
My boat is USCG documented. I'm buying a dinghy this spring. Is the T.T moniker required? I know I'll have to get it state registered (Mass. w/ a Torqueedo outboard) but do I need the T.T plus my boat name?

My boat is USCG documented. I'm buying a dinghy this spring. Is the T.T moniker required? I know I'll have to get it state registered (Mass. w/ a Torqueedo outboard) but do I need the T.T plus my boat name?

The USCG doesn't care about your dinghy. If your state requires a separate registration then they only care about your registration numbers being displayed. The T/T may fly in some jurisdictions but for the most part I think it simply a personal preference (some might call it an affectation). It does allow others to know from whom they stole the dinghy, or allow folks to know to which boat in the anchorage to return an improperly tied dinghy.

If it has a motor it requires registration. What you call it no one cares but you. The T/T absolves you of nothing, you only hope that if it gets lost or stolen they will know which boat to return it to.

Some states (mine included) allow a small motorized dinghy to be exempt from the requirement to carry its own registration. In this case, many owners apply the "tender to" label, though our state doesn't require this.

We elected to register our 8 hp RIB because we wanted to do more with it than simply ferry back and forth between the shore and the mothership:

From RCW 88.02.570:
(7) A vessel equipped with propulsion machinery of less than ten horsepower that:
(a) Is owned by the owner of a vessel for which a valid vessel number has been issued;
(b) Displays the number of that numbered vessel followed by the suffix "1" in the manner prescribed by the department; and
(c) Is used as a tender for direct transportation between the numbered vessel and the shore and for no other purpose;

A downside of the T/T designation is that thieves will know when you are ashore and can target your boat. Doesn't happen in the states but in some Caribbean Islands, yes.

David

Slight security issue. You will hear the comment that putting the boat name on the tender is not a good idea because a thief seeing two people in the dinghy will know that both people are off the boat.

"A downside of the T/T designation is that thieves will know when you are ashore and can target your boat. Doesn't happen in the states but in some Caribbean Islands, yes."

This is true , the usual solution is a second dink, a crap rowboat is fine , tied astern.

Thanks guys. I won't be going to the Caribbean with my boat but I appreciate the insight. Wouldn't locking the boat when ashore prevent most theft? Or would they just break a window and enter?

usually getting into boats is no great challenge unless you have installed special security items.

then yes breaking a window would be easy enough for the criminal, but a big PIA for you.

I always try and lock the dingy when anyplace that doesnt have dozens of nicer, unlocked dinks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We use a device called Burgelarmist.

Since a lock only keeps out honest folk, tripping a wire and getting a can of Mace in the face slows down the most dishonest folks.

One does have to remember to unhook the trip wire upon returning tho.....

Using a 12v cattle fence unit on the lifelines and stanchions can discourage most folks and kids.

A simple wired boarding mat alarm works to keep off the least skilled.

If wired to an air horn and multiple outside lights its a great Welcome Aboard..

Last edited:
We use a device called Burgelarmist.

Since a lock only keeps out honest folk, tripping a wire and getting a can of Mace in the face slows down the most dishonest folks.

One does have to remember to unhook the trip wire upon returning tho.....

Using a 12v cattle fence unit on the lifelines and stanchions can discourage most folks and kids.

A simple wired boarding mat alarm works to keep off the least skilled.

If wired to an air horn and multiple outside lights its a great Welcome Aboard..

You are crazy!

But I do like the way you think.

Washington state will allow your dingy to be unregistered if used as direct transportation between boat and shore, however, if you add fishing gear or crab pots you will not be granted that privilege. You are also at the Sheriffs will for how far off a direct line you can be. Best to register it in Washington.

In So Cal some of the big boats put TT on their ding thinking they don’t need CF numbers. I have been told the HP reminds them reg is needed, but you still see quite a few that are not. When our kids were younger our ding was named “Lil Will” after my son. I told my son we were going to put “Tender Lil Will” on the gunwale but he wasn’t crazy about the idea.

I recommend against T/T or any reference to your boat. It may not lead to a substantially greater risk of theft or invasion of your boat, but leads to some risk with no benefit. A bit like announcing on facebook you'll be on vacation next week.

Well, since this thread took a slight detour I'll jump in. I'm really glad that in my boating waters theft is all but nonexistent (although I'm sure it probably happens but not on everyones mind). The way some of you guys are talking about theft I feel sorry that you have to deal with it that much. That's insane. I guess the grass isn't always greener in FL.

Don't know if you meant this tongue-in-cheek or not, but...

Appealing as this idea is, in a whole lot of states you could be setting yourself up for a major problem with a system like this. It would be considered a booby-trap, and many states outlaw booby-traps. If someone comes along -- doesn't matter if they are a thief or not -- grabs a stanchion, gets a shock, falls into the water and drowns, you may very well be charged with manslaughter.

I would stick to lights, alarms, good locks, and that sort of thing.

Well, since this thread took a slight detour I'll jump in. I'm really glad that in my boating waters theft is all but nonexistent (although I'm sure it probably happens but not on everyones mind). The way some of you guys are talking about theft I feel sorry that you have to deal with it that much. That's insane. I guess the grass isn't always greener in FL.

Not that we have to deal with it that much as you say and it sure isn't non-existent where you are. Just an open invitation to theft isn't something I consider wise. We live in a crime free island area of 325 homes. No reported crimes in the five and a half years we've lived here. Still I'm not going to leave my doors unlocked and make an announcement that I'll be gone for two weeks.

The majority of thefts I've heard of have been in the Caribbean and even there it's been a very small number. However, I know even in the finest coastal areas including the Northeast there have been burglaries, just they haven't been especially newsworthy. I know the San Francisco Bay Area has had it's share and I know of a Marina in the Morehead City/Beaufort area that had a one night spree. Just takes one night.

One takes their chances. We use security systems, but I'm still not putting T/T on a dinghy. It serves no purpose, meets no need or even suggested labeling, and could possibly be used against one.

While the designation "T/T" is popular here in SW BC, it is unnecessary. If reliant upon the Registration of the mother ship, the proper identification of its dinghy is to simply use the Mother Ship's name.

We have no theft concerns here of course. I have enjoyed a few laughs reading about the insanity of extreme security measures used elsewhere.

Unfortunately, its not insanity here... and generally precautionary....

Back
Top Bottom