Marine Strip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Has anyone used this product?
The owner of a gorgeous 65’ Viking sportfish next to us at South Seas recommended it for cleaning our very dirty ugly power cord. I’m guessing he thought our cord was as much of an eyesore as I think it is...lol
Anyway, I picked up a can when we got to Marina Jack’s.
They said to wear gloves when using.

Yes, I used it on my hideous 13 year old power cord about 2 months ago. It worked really, really well. One of the few "miracle solutions" that I've tried that actually worked. I followed it up with a coat of mop and glo. My cord still looks great after sitting on the dock for two months.

There is a big motor yacht in the slip behind me. My cord looks better than theirs does, lol. Now everything else on the boat....not so much.

I used it on my power cords and fenders. Followed it up with a coat of 330 protectant using a towel that had been sprayed with 303. Worked, but now they need it again.

Last Fall I put on a Glendinning Cablemaster complete with 70' of brand new white cord. A couple of months later I decided to order a Sunbrella cover from All American Shore Power Cord covers. So, my cord was dirty from 2-3 months out in the weather. I heard about Marine Strip and drove 30 miles to the nearest dealer.

It made the cords better but by no means did they look as they did new. It is pretty harsh stuff (ate my rubber gloves off my hands) so I will not use it again because I am afraid it will remove the plasticizers from the cord and make it sticky. Plus, with my cover it is not getting very dirty.

We used acetone and followed up with 303 (I think its 303, 3m product?). Wasent sticky afterwards from the acetone and cleaned up real nice.

Last Fall I put on a Glendinning Cablemaster complete with 70' of brand new white cord. A couple of months later I decided to order a Sunbrella cover from All American Shore Power Cord covers. So, my cord was dirty from 2-3 months out in the weather. I heard about Marine Strip and drove 30 miles to the nearest dealer.

It made the cords better but by no means did they look as they did new. It is pretty harsh stuff (ate my rubber gloves off my hands) so I will not use it again because I am afraid it will remove the plasticizers from the cord and make it sticky. Plus, with my cover it is not getting very dirty.

Seasalt,
I'm curious about your setup. We also have a Glendinning-style electric retracting power cable. How does the sunbrella cover fit on the cable and does it go into the retractor with the cover on...?

Marine Strip was originally sold as a varnish remover. It was a lousy varnish remover but people figured out that it was a great vinyl cleaner. It doesn’t remove the plasticizer and make it sticky.

I think it was originally designed to remove the finish off of antique furniture without damaging the wood. It is manufactured and distributed by an Antique Restoration company in Alabama.

It’s not MEK. It isn’t flammable.

I think it’s a great product. I bet it will clean a lot of other surfaces as well as vinyl. They say it won’t hurt gel coat.

Marinestrip -Products-

Marine Strip was originally sold as a varnish remover. It was a lousy varnish remover but people figured out that it was a great vinyl cleaner. It doesn’t remove the plasticizer and make it sticky.

I think it was originally designed to remove the finish off of antique furniture without damaging the wood. It is manufactured and distributed by an Antique Restoration company in Alabama.

It’s not MEK. It isn’t flammable.

I think it’s a great product. I bet it will clean a lot of other surfaces as well as vinyl. They say it won’t hurt gel coat.

Marinestrip -Products-

So you think it’s safe to use on vinyl cushions? I have a few stubborn stains.
Although I’m not sure if it’s stains or if it’s just the vinyl itself ruined in those places.

I’m going to work on my power cord for a bit today while we’re sitting here at this marina. I’ll, take some before and after pics. I bought some heavy duty gloves at Walmart yesterday.

I use Nu Finish car polish and 3M Scotch Bright pad for cleaning up the power cord. You give it a bit of a scub with the pad and the polish, let it dry, and wipe off the film with a clean rag. It leaves behind a waxed like surface that's easier to keep clean. It works well on fenders also and makes them much easier to clean when they get dirty. Usually do it twice a year.

Ted

Great stuff. I have used it on power cords, fenders, cushions, etc. also great to remove stubborn scuff marks from gel coat. Just make sure To re-wax the area.

Seasalt,
I'm curious about your setup. We also have a Glendinning-style electric retracting power cable. How does the sunbrella cover fit on the cable and does it go into the retractor with the cover on...?

The cover is a 25' x 8" piece of Sunbrella with Velcro along both sides of the long dimension. You lay the cord in the middle and fold it over. Very easy to put on and take off but it will not go through the cablemaster.

I can't put anything slick like 303 or wax on the cord because the cablemaster would not get a good grip on it. It slips sometimes when the cable is damp.

Last edited:
I use a mechanics hand cleaner like gojo with pumice and a scotch Brite pad. Worked better than marine strip for me.

Cleaning the power cord? Seems anti-maritime to me. Are you salty or silly?

Greetings,
Mr. HC. From the Marine Strip link you posted: "Helpful Hint: Product will burn with a lazy flame, and is therefore flammable." Hmmm.....It also states elsewhere on the site the product is NON flammable. A bit of conflicting information directly from the horses mouth, I'd say.

Couldn't find an MSDS sheet on the product either.

It worked great. The before picture doesn’t do justice to just how dirty the whole cord was.

Attachments

• A3D87084-A3C2-430E-AE76-38C3D9553EC1.jpg
    A3D87084-A3C2-430E-AE76-38C3D9553EC1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 34752945-080F-438D-AAC3-85B013B872B9.jpg
    34752945-080F-438D-AAC3-85B013B872B9.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 65
Cleaning the power cord? Seems anti-maritime to me. Are you salty or silly?

The very dirty power cord was leaving black marks on my boat. I don’t like that.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. From the Marine Strip link you posted: "Helpful Hint: Product will burn with a lazy flame, and is therefore flammable." Hmmm.....It also states elsewhere on the site the product is NON flammable. A bit of conflicting information directly from the horses mouth, I'd say.

Couldn't find an MSDS sheet on the product either.

Hi Rufus, you scrolled down too far. You’re reading the description of their TLC wax. That will burn. I couldn’t find an MSDS either.

Hi Rufus, you scrolled down too far. You’re reading the description of their TLC wax. That will burn. I couldn’t find an MSDS either.

It says that on my can.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. You are correct. Apologies to both you AND the stripper...

200w.gif

I read the back of my can thoroughly today. I’ll take a picture of it in the morning.

Here is a pic of the back of my can.

Attachments

• 89DAE265-8C6A-470F-8A4D-D583FA482623.jpg
    89DAE265-8C6A-470F-8A4D-D583FA482623.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 53
It worked great. The before picture doesn’t do justice to just how dirty the whole cord was.

That was my experience as well. I tried comet, Bartender's friend, gojo, acetone, a strong bleach soak, 3M scrub pads, nothing made much, if any, difference. The Marine Strip cleaned it right up.

Odd to me that those things worked for other people ITT but Marine Strip did not. Different stains maybe?

And yes, my cord had gotten so bad that it left scuffs anywhere it touched the boat. I had to use cleaner wax and a 3M pad to get the scuffs off. Handing the cord to a dock hand at a marina was embarassing, it was so bad they didn't want to touch it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom