Looking for Californian Nameplate(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bump

Hi,

If I'm not posting in the correct area please advise.

I'm looking for a Californian nameplate.

Anybody have one?

Thanks,
Pat

You're in the right place. Welcome to TF!

I was considering replacing mine once upon a time and called the Marshalls at Navigator Yachts, speaking to Gil Marshall and the plant foreman (Juan?) who was with them building the Californians back in the day. He told me they were not being made and, in essence, they had become as rare as hens teeth.

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome!

I think the phase of taking nameplates off and tossing into the garbage is over! LOL

You're in the right place. Welcome to TF!

I was considering replacing mine once upon a time and called the Marshalls at Navigator Yachts, speaking to Gil Marshall and the plant foreman (Juan?) who was with them building the Californians back in the day. He told me they were not being made and, in essence, they had become as rare as hens teeth.

With a little photoshop work (gimp is the same only free) and “front panel express” you can make your own nameplate or duplicate one that is currently unavailable.

A friend had Defever nameplates made. They cut them with a laser, I think, out of stainless steel. Looked nice but I don’t know where he had them done. Try some local metal workers.

Repopping Nameplates

I've never seen one up close. Anyone have any pictures? Were they 3D or were they just a flat panel? If they were 3D with relief and texture then a sand casting sort of thing could be done if I had one.

I think most of that stuff back then was done with a casting. Most of the boat nameplates I am aware of were done that way.

Thanks!

Roger Hansen at the dealership in Jacksonville made some with the Californian logo encased in plastic. I ordered two for my 45'. Who knows if any are still around?

The original cast names corroded very easily.

I've never seen one up close. Anyone have any pictures? Were they 3D or were they just a flat panel? If they were 3D with relief and texture then a sand casting sort of thing could be done if I had one.

I think most of that stuff back then was done with a casting. Most of the boat nameplates I am aware of were done that way.

Thanks!

I'll take a closer look when I'm aboard next week. I'll try to get some good photos.

Thanks!

I searched eBay first and nothing came up. Weird.

I see no one has bought any of those stickers. A close friend sells repops of classic racing stickers and does them right but they are much cheaper. $25 for the California stickers seems a bit high.

I'm really looking for a 3D metal version but thanks for letting me know because I like the different versions.

Check ebay. There are replica stickers for sale there.

The thing is...

I really want that 3D look that casting metal offers. I suppose it could be recreated with CNC but it'd be crazy expensive. I have an old nameplate off my parents ski boat from the 60s and there are alot of curves and angles that a laser cut of some stainless sheet would be hard pressed to recreate IMO.

Why not see if anyone has one in good condition, scan it and then 3-D print as many copies as you want. Paint or plate as desired.

You could also print it with a low melting point material and use it to cast metal copies using the lost wax process. A good foundry may be able to handle the whole process........

Exactly what I am thinking!

Thanks!

Why not see if anyone has one in good condition, scan it and then 3-D print as many copies as you want. Paint or plate as desired.

You could also print it with a low melting point material and use it to cast metal copies using the lost wax process. A good foundry may be able to handle the whole process........

Here are some shots of my Californian nameplates. They appear to be aluminum but could be cast pot metal.

They're 13 1/2 inches long and the C is 2 inches high.

Attachments

• 20180313_092030.jpg
    20180313_092030.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 261
  • 20180313_092010.jpg
    20180313_092010.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Check ebay seller 9xamarine. They have the Californian decals (you can do an ebay search for "9xamarine californian")

Back
Top Bottom