CruiseAir in AC mode popping breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rogerh

Guru
Vessel Name
At Last
Vessel Make
1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
I have a CruisAir 36K BTU Reverse cycle unit. Whenever I first turn it on it pops the breaker within 30 seconds. Try it again and it usually runs fine for the rest of the time I have it on. In heat mode it does not do this. Since both modes are using the compressor current should be about the same? Could the be the reverse cycle valve sticking. When off does the valve go to the heat mode or AC mode or last mode selected. It's been like this since we got the boat. Thanks for your replies.

I have a CruisAir also.
Had same problem. Did it for a while before it gave up completely with a bang.
Turned out to be the capacitor.
The AC guy in Costa Rica had new one for like $50. I also bought a spare.

i have a cruisair also.
Had same problem. Did it for a while before it gave up completely with a bang.
Turned out to be the capacitor.
The ac guy in costa rica had new one for like $50. I also bought a spare.

ForumRunner_20180311_201640.jpg

I replaced one of them on the fan for one of the condensers. I should try the one on the compressor. Easy enough to do.,

Get a clamp meter and read compressor amps. Might be breaker getting weak and tripping too soon.

Some of the systems have a capacitor start/capacitor run setup that might include a relay to switch the relays. If you have a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) with a capacitor scale, it's easy enough to check the capacitors. Disconnect on of the posts completely, then short the cap with a screwdriver or jumper. Take a reading, short again, take another read with the meter leads reversed. Your readings should be within 10% of the nameplate on the cap. They're not expensive, try to keep the mfd rating of the replacement the same, voltage nameplate can be higher on the replacement, no problem. If there's a relay in the start gear, you can check resistance on the coil terminals (one must be disconnected) as a basic check. Some are inductance relays and are more difficult to DX, but a continuity/resistance test of the coil is basic and illuminating.

Don't overlook bad connections, as they can increase startup current. Check the terminal connections on the compressor. On a 3 ton, you're looking at current that is easily capable of burning a terminal, and a poor connection can add enough resistance to cause flakey startup issues.

2nd what Ski advised, check with a clamp ammeter to confirm breaker is up to the job, and also to see if the start current is over what the nameplate on the unit specifies.

Mine has a 2 position switch. First position activates fan. I turn it to one, let the fan spin up, then move to 2. Works fine. Mine also "blew". Turned out to be the wiring insulation at switch. Fixed that , now ok. I also connected it to a 25 amp breaker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom