Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Matt, I like the phrase “ready to paint”!

yeah I'm excited mate. Still weighing up whether I will do night school course on Spray Painting and learn how to spray so I can do this myself or if I should pay someone to do it later on in the year when I save up enough money. To get a professional to paint the boat is about 20 times more expensive that the cost of the course is but the pro could get a better finish perhaps? ...

Plan A is to finish sanding, get it ready for painting then start working on the interior then towards the end of the year when the interior is done, put it on truck and take it down to the boat lifters where she will be put in a shed, painted then lowered into the water once ive antifouled it and fitted all of the stainless railings etc.

Plan B is to paint it myself under the tarps, fit the stainless, do the interior then put it on a truck and take it down to the boat lifters to be lowered in to the water.

What's everyone's thoughts? :popcorn:

yeah I'm excited mate. Still weighing up whether I will do night school course on Spray Painting and learn how to spray so I can do this myself or if I should pay someone to do it later on in the year when I save up enough money. To get a professional to paint the boat is about 20 times more expensive that the cost of the course is but the pro could get a better finish perhaps? ...

Plan A is to finish sanding, get it ready for painting then start working on the interior then towards the end of the year when the interior is done, put it on truck and take it down to the boat lifters where she will be put in a shed, painted then lowered into the water once ive antifouled it and fitted all of the stainless railings etc.

Plan B is to paint it myself under the tarps, fit the stainless, do the interior then put it on a truck and take it down to the boat lifters to be lowered in to the water.

What's everyone's thoughts? :popcorn:
Practice, try it out and learn by yourself. Seeing your skills I have no doubt about your success!
Moreover paying someone would break the pleasure of sitting in front of this lady with a cold one and saying " I did it!" :)

L

I only kept the keel. Everything was chopped up and scrapped, I saying that tho I replaced and extended the stem of the keel so maybe half of the keel is original and the rest is new

Sort of like rebuilding a car? Jack the radiator cap up and run a new car under it?

It is still a great rebuild.

Practice, try it out and learn by yourself. Seeing your skills I have no doubt about your success!
Moreover paying someone would break the pleasure of sitting in front of this lady with a cold one and saying " I did it!" :)

L

Thanks mate. I’m not sure the pleasure of sitting back with a frothy at the end of the job is going to outweigh the pain of sanding a crap paint job lol

I might do the course and a then spray a little bit like the transom and see how it goes.

You know what, I realized something tonight... When you will be done you will certainly have reached 300K view or more, that means that you owe a world tour to your fans! :)

L

Thanks mate. I’m not sure the pleasure of sitting back with a frothy at the end of the job is going to outweigh the pain of sanding a crap paint job lol

I might do the course and a then spray a little bit like the transom and see how it goes.

Hey, Hey Matt... The last place to make a mistake on is a gal's butt!! You know where most guys look often!! - LOL :lol:

And, gals are very conscious on how their butt looks!!!! :D

I only kept the keel. Everything was chopped up and scrapped, I saying that tho I replaced and extended the stem of the keel so maybe half of the keel is original and the rest is new

So Matt, in effect, you have built a new boat from scratch, but for sentiment's sake, slotted in a piece of an old original craft, as a salute to the progenitor the idea sprung from. https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/progenitor.html
A bit like the folk building a new house often incorprate some lovely old beams, or a fireplace lintel, salvaged from something way older, like a bridge, centuries old castle, or sailing vessel, as a feature. Only difference being to admire your feature and salute to history one needs goggles and a snorkel at the very least. Love it..! :D :socool:

Last edited:
I`d bet you could paint it yourself,with just a little tuition.I did some car spray painting in my rally days,you`d soon pick it up. Maybe a book would help, plus some trials. Big thing was maintaining distance off the job while going around bends and corners. Zebra stripes are something else, but buff out. With your practicality, you`d pick it up quick.

So Matt, in effect, you have built a new boat from scratch, but for sentiment's sake, slotted in a piece of an old original craft, as a salute to the progenitor the idea sprung from. https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/progenitor.html
A bit like the folk building a new house often incorprate some lovely old beams, or a fireplace lintel, salvaged from something way older, like a bridge, centuries old castle, or sailing vessel, as a feature. Only difference being to admire your feature and salute to history one needs goggles and a snorkel at the very least. Love it..! :D :socool:

Hahaha google and a snorkel haha

I`d bet you could paint it yourself,with just a little tuition.I did some car spray painting in my rally days,you`d soon pick it up. Maybe a book would help, plus some trials. Big thing was maintaining distance off the job while going around bends and corners. Zebra stripes are something else, but buff out. With your practicality, you`d pick it up quick.

Confidence and belief in oneself is needed I think. I’ll have a crack and see what happens.

Happy to report the aft cockpit, transom and the entire Port side of SOLSTICE is sanded with P320 and is ready for top coating. I moved everything up on to the bow top sides to begin the journey down the Starboard side moving aft to the stern.

IMG_9747.jpg
IMG_9750.jpg
IMG_9744.jpg
IMG_9748.jpg

Looking good.
It is getting closer and closer to the water.

Damn... Matt - You designed and built SOLSTICE a very proud looking "prow"; i.e. second photo down.

Looks like, you, Flic and you guys' buds and will easily knife-slice through the water aboard SOLSTICE !!

Damn... Matt - You designed and built SOLSTICE a very proud looking "prow"; i.e. second photo down.

Looks like, you, Flic and you guys' buds and will easily knife-slice through the water aboard SOLSTICE !!

Yeah she’ll slice more than plow mate. Can’t wait to see how she performs. I can almost see it when I close my eyes.

Dont forget to install a SS plate to protect the prow from the anchor.

How big are these plates suppose to be?

Now that's a really good question. The event may happen as it is drawn close to the anchor resting position.
If I were at my boat, I would go measure mine.

Yours will be a bit different because you have that 'rib' in the middle.

Last edited:
Now that's a really good question. The event may happen as it is drawn close to the anchor resting position.
If I were at my boat, I would go measure mine.

Yours will be a bit different because you have that 'rib' in the middle.

Ah cool mate thanks anyway :)

Ah yes, you can hear the water slapping against the hull.
This year, you will be in the water!!

Back
Top Bottom