Cummins 450hp on Carolina Classic 35

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonzy1

Vessel Make
2007 Henriques 35 Express
Looking to buy a CC35 and prefer the cummins 540 but harder to find.

Are the ones powered w the cummins 450s underpowered?

Are these engines being overworked?

Can you give us a link to the boat?

Ok I looked it up on Yachtworld. 25000 pounds. One listing showed 26kts@2400RPM. 2400RPM is max continuous rated power. I personally would not run my engines at that speed. So the question is how fast do you want to go and how much are you willing to pay(in engine wear) to do it? If you are happy doing 20kts at 2200RPMs(assumption on my part) then it is not underpowered. If that is too slow then it might be.

Ok I looked it up on Yachtworld. 25000 pounds. One listing showed 26kts@2400RPM. 2400RPM is max continuous rated power. I personally would not run my engines at that speed. So the question is how fast do you want to go and how much are you willing to pay(in engine wear) to do it? If you are happy doing 20kts at 2200RPMs(assumption on my part) then it is not underpowered. If that is too slow then it might be.

Baker
Great simple breakdown. This is what i suspected. The subsequent models came out w cummins 540's which is probably appropriate.

20-23 kts is my typical cruise speed out to the canyon. So it could work. That said, If I am investing in a heavier boat to get a better head sea ride then Id like to take advantage of the higher cruise speed too.

May have to wait for a 540 to come around. They are hard to find though.

I have run a couple CC35's with 450C. It is a heavy boat for its size and tended to stand bow way high when getting up. Enough that you could not see over the bow. Took 2300-2400 to get to a decent speed and running angle, and that is hard on the engines. The one I did serious work on had a leaky head gasket and cracks in the head. Exhaust mixers were factory and too low to guarantee no water in the turbo.

Seemed like well built boats, but when running it I always felt where the heck is all that horsepower going??? I kinda doubt it is only 25k lbs. Felt heavier to me.

In comparison I have a Carolina style cold molded 38 with ONE 450C that planes at 1800rpm and tops out at 30kts.

On the plus side, the weight and deep vee will make it a beast in snotty seas.

The 450C and 480CE seem to have issues with valve seats if run hard. The QSC 540 has a completely different head with 4 valves vs 2, and does not seem to have any such problems.

Last edited:
You don't get better information then that!! :

I have run a couple CC35's with 450C. It is a heavy boat for its size and tended to stand bow way high when getting up. Enough that you could not see over the bow. Took 2300-2400 to get to a decent speed and running angle, and that is hard on the engines. The one I did serious work on had a leaky head gasket and cracks in the head. Exhaust mixers were factory and too low to guarantee no water in the turbo.

Seemed like well built boats, but when running it I always felt where the heck is all that horsepower going??? I kinda doubt it is only 25k lbs. Felt heavier to me.

In comparison I have a Carolina style cold molded 38 with ONE 450C that planes at 1800rpm and tops out at 30kts.

The 450C and 480CE seem to have issues with valve seats if run hard. The QSC 540 has a completely different head with 4 valves vs 2, and does not seem to have any such problems.

I have spoke to a couple of freinds I think the take away is unless you have the 540 or larger w this hull, you need to take it easy and call it a 22-23kt boat...not 25-26

80 prcnt power perhaps

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom