How to remove Bomar hatch lid pins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksceviour

Vessel Name
Moderation
Vessel Make
Sea Lord 35
I've got an older model Bomar hatch (looks like the 2600 series hatch). I'd like to take the lid off but can't tell how the hinge pins come out.

I'm reluctant to start trying to drive them out with no info about the design. They appear to be completely sealed pins.

Any idea on how these things are put together?

Last edited:
I have 2 Bomar 100 series hatches. The hinge pins on them are easily driven out with a punch the same size as the pin. Perhaps use a magnifier to see if the pins have a split in them?

Better Living Thru Chemistry!

PB Blaster or your favorite for a couple of days FIRST!

On my Bomar hatches they were split pins. I put a socket on one side and a pin slightly smaller than the hinge hole on the other side and pressed them out with a C clamp.

I'll have to take a closer look. Thanks for the input.

So I finally got back to the hatch. There are 3 hinges on my older style Bowmar hatch. The hatch cover is attached to the hinges with 2 stainless screws per hinge. These screws also hold the plastic hinge pins in place. Remove the six screws and the hinge pins slide out.

It's a silly design because in order to remove the hinge pins you have to remove the screws that attach the cover to the hinges. As a result the hinges and cover come off in pieces. Even worse its stainless screws in aluminum hinges. I got five out but the head came off the sixth. Still working on that issue.

Back
Top Bottom