View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
I didn’t know these existed until a TFer put his up on one of the “Best Upgrades” general discussion threads. Due to my boat’s configuration, checking/watering batteries is a simple but PIA operation.

I’ve found three systems that all appear to be pretty similar, at least in concept: Flow-Rite ProFill, Trojan Hydro-Link, and Battery Watering Technologies. However, there are price differences, with Flow-Rite apparently the least expensive. Anyone have any experience with these or similar systems?
I have a Battery Watering Technology (BWT) setup as part of the batteries for an off-grid house. It was quite the fiasco to get the correct float devices for my batteries. Each time they were certain it was the right one, yet it took three tries to get something that was acceptable despite me providing exact measurements. And even then, it still isn't what it should be. There are different snap on floats and extension arms to get the water flow to shut off at the correct electrolyte level, and that was where all the confusion lay, even with exact measurement. So it was not a happy start. But with more common battery sizes like golf cart batteries and L16s, this should not be an issue.

But now that it's installed, it sure does make a huge difference in watering. These are big batteries and they are getting towards the end of their life and consume a lot of water. Over 60 days, they can consume 8 gal of water. I also bought their de-ionizer which allows the use of tap water. I was really tired of buying cases and cases of distilled water.

Battery watering used to be a huge production of buying a couple cases of water, then spending a good 30-60 minutes filling up 24 cells with a funnel and flashlight. Now it takes maybe a minute.