Battery Watering Systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I didn’t know these existed until a TFer put his up on one of the “Best Upgrades” general discussion threads. Due to my boat’s configuration, checking/watering batteries is a simple but PIA operation.

I’ve found three systems that all appear to be pretty similar, at least in concept: Flow-Rite ProFill, Trojan Hydro-Link, and Battery Watering Technologies. However, there are price differences, with Flow-Rite apparently the least expensive. Anyone have any experience with these or similar systems?

Have not used one, but they are quite common in the RV world. You might try a RV user group for more feedback.

I've found AGM's (Absorbent Glass Mat) to be the best system to keep the batteries topped up.

I'm over my AGM phase.

IF the charge voltages are Ok the hydrocap system might be all thats needed.

Beware they need space to fit , and may not work in OTS battery boxes.

Hydrocap |

hydrocapcorp.com/

Recharging a lead-acid battery The electrolyte in lead-acid batteries is a dilute solution of sulfuric acid in water. As the lead-acid cell reaches a full state of charge, some.

Frequently Asked Questions | Hydrocap

hydrocapcorp.com/contact-us/faq/

FAQ What are HYDROCAPS? HYDROCAPS are a catalyst battery cap designed to replace the conventional vent cap on a lead-acid or alkaline battery.

I need to replace my house bank soon . I have four 6 volt golf cart batteries. I’ve been looking at the Trojans with the hydro link watering system . I definitely need something to make look forward to watering batteries. It’s not that it’s that hard to do but I’m just not consistent .

I didn’t know these existed until a TFer put his up on one of the “Best Upgrades” general discussion threads. Due to my boat’s configuration, checking/watering batteries is a simple but PIA operation.

I’ve found three systems that all appear to be pretty similar, at least in concept: Flow-Rite ProFill, Trojan Hydro-Link, and Battery Watering Technologies. However, there are price differences, with Flow-Rite apparently the least expensive. Anyone have any experience with these or similar systems?

I have a Battery Watering Technology (BWT) setup as part of the batteries for an off-grid house. It was quite the fiasco to get the correct float devices for my batteries. Each time they were certain it was the right one, yet it took three tries to get something that was acceptable despite me providing exact measurements. And even then, it still isn't what it should be. There are different snap on floats and extension arms to get the water flow to shut off at the correct electrolyte level, and that was where all the confusion lay, even with exact measurement. So it was not a happy start. But with more common battery sizes like golf cart batteries and L16s, this should not be an issue.

But now that it's installed, it sure does make a huge difference in watering. These are big batteries and they are getting towards the end of their life and consume a lot of water. Over 60 days, they can consume 8 gal of water. I also bought their de-ionizer which allows the use of tap water. I was really tired of buying cases and cases of distilled water.

Battery watering used to be a huge production of buying a couple cases of water, then spending a good 30-60 minutes filling up 24 cells with a funnel and flashlight. Now it takes maybe a minute.

8 gallons - wow! I'm a piker. Ounces, maybe. I'm cooling off on the idea. A side benefit of getting down there and pulling the battery box cover is it forces a look and maybe a tug on cable connections.

An easy way to maintain levels in traditional batteries is by installing a plastic tubing system. You need a tank with a air tight cap at the top and a valve at the bottom. From the valve, plastic tubing going to each cell. The cell caps are drilled so the tubing fits snug. The tubing is pushed thru the cap so the end is at the height you want to maintain of the acid. The valve is opened and the level is maintained like a pet cage water bowl. When the tank needs more water, you close the valve and open the cap.

In our RV I use one of the battery fillers that is like a garden watering can. It has a cutoff so that you just put the nozzle into the battery cell and push down. It will fill to the proper level and then shut off. That way you don’t have to put in some water and check the level and repeat several times until the level is correct. It does require some open space above the batteries to get the can above the batteries, but you don’t have to even look into the cells. I think I got it at an auto parts store.

Post #10 the "famous" Black Jug. They do work well, where clearance exists. I have been using one for several years.
I was having to water my batteries often, turns out my old charger was overcharging. I now have a Magnum inverter with multi stage charger. I now go much longer before having to add water.

I installed the Flow Rite a few years ago when I upgraded my house bank to 4 GC batteries. I had virtually NO vertical clearance to access for watering so this was a necessity. It has worked very nicely for 3 years now..

7 years of using the Flow Rite Pro-fill on 6 GC batteries and I am quite happy with the system.

Battery water Technoligies works great for us

Installed this 3 years ago on our Trojan T145's have 8 in large bank that is not easy to access so I broke the water circuit into pairs (2 battier per water circuit) to keep the plastic tube layout clean, visible and easily accessible. Use to take 30-40 mins to check and top off each cycle...now less then 10.
No spills, no mess, easy setup and easy to use during servicing.

Any battery dealer can help choose the right values or they have a great search tool that type in the brand/battery type and tell you value.

Honestly one easies upgrades and it has save me time on servicing as well as it reusable when you replace the batteries later on.

I'm in the process of revising my start and house banks and after seeing this thread I was certain I wanted a battery watering system. A quick cruise on the web found that Camping World had great pricing on the Flow-Rite kits for the dual 6V GC2s and the dual GRP24/27s. Apparently these are quite popular in the RV crowd as well.

I need to replace my house bank soon . I have four 6 volt golf cart batteries. I’ve been looking at the Trojans with the hydro link watering system . I definitely need something to make look forward to watering batteries. It’s not that it’s that hard to do but I’m just not consistent .

This post is stale but...

If you aren’t terribly consistent on your watering then I would suggest going for less expensive batteries than the Trojans. I like the Costco or Sam’s club option for GC batteries. Great value. Sure, they may not last as long as well cared for set of Trojans, but unless you are living the cruiser lifestyle, I think they are a great value. Add a watering system just makes like that much easier.

Back
Top Bottom