Warning for Anyone Using Shipshape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I may be the only one using this app to track maintenance and keep up with tasks, but users should know that the current rev is no longer supported. The developer says it will continue to work until Apple changes its OS, rendering the app useless.

The new version of Shipshape (a $9 annual subscription) is not backwards compatible according to the vendor’s FAQ, so data cannot be migrated. To avoid losing all my data, I would have to print it out and manually re-enter it in the new app—until they design another non-compatible version.

I used to think this was a really nifty app, but I can’t think of a better way to say “screw you” to customers. :angry:

I may be the only one using this app to track maintenance and keep up with tasks, but users should know that the current rev is no longer supported. The developer says it will continue to work until Apple changes its OS, rendering the app useless.

The new version of Shipshape (a $9 annual subscription) is not backwards compatible according to the vendor’s FAQ, so data cannot be migrated. To avoid losing all my data, I would have to print it out and manually re-enter it in the new app—until they design another non-compatible version.

I used to think this was a really nifty app, but I can’t think of a better way to say “screw you” to customers. :angry:

Is there any way to export the data as .csv or .xls or any other format for that matter?

Thanks, High Wire. I’m calling their tech support folks Monday.

WTF are you talking about?
I'd be curious as to what they say.

I use Shipshape but to be honest, I don't think it has a great interface. It is not intuitive at all and you have to go between a lot of tabs to get the info that you want.

Just last weekend I was considering again going to just an Excel spreadsheet. Then it would not be platform dependent.

Yeah, it’s far from perfect, Dave, but still easier than Excel for me. I will never get the hours of my life back I spent playing with Excel with little to show for it; but that’s just me. :thumb:

ShipShape Pro appears to still work and be supported. Yes, I paid $30 for it about 18 months ago, but still use it every day. A bit buggy at times but the best of what I could find out there.

ShipShape Pro appears to still work and be supported. Yes, I paid $30 for it about 18 months ago, but still use it every day. A bit buggy at times but the best of what I could find out there.

I also paid for the Pro version. Still not real happy with it. I suppose if I used it daily, I would get used to it.

Just to close this out and eat a little humble pie.

Turns out there is no way to export the data from the old version of Shipshape, so I’ll have to manually convert it to the new one. The developer says that creating an application programming interface to back up the older version in Dropbox would cost more than the revenue they project to earn from the app. The good news is that Pro is designed from the ground up to back up its data to Dropbox, so going forward should not be risky.

I was pleased with the way the developer handled my complaint. I received numerous emails from staffers and managers and they were very apologetic. They noted there’s not big bucks in boat mainteneance software and said Shipshape is actually a net money loser for them. They’re motivated to produce it, they say, because the boss has a passion for sailing and wants to provide it for the boating community.

They did give me a copy of the new Pro version gratis—which I thought was pretty decent—and I will continue to use it. I think an across-the-board discount for legacy users would be appropriate as well, but I didn’t press it. The Pro version is a very robust set of tools for managing maintenance, inventories, logs and expenses for one boat or a fleet. I like having all the info in one place and I actually find the interface pretty easy to use.

Last edited:
I became interested in learning a little more about this app based on the thread here...but it appears their website is now offline.

This site can’t be reached
www.intelligentmaintenance.com’s server IP address could not be found.

That usually means server down.

Just last weekend I was considering again going to just an Excel spreadsheet. Then it would not be platform dependent.

Simplest way....

I became interested in learning a little more about this app based on the thread here...but it appears their website is now offline.

This site can’t be reached
www.intelligentmaintenance.com’s server IP address could not be found.

That usually means server down.

It’s apparently under a new developer. (Nice if they’d link to the new site)

https://www.ticketyboo-apps.com/apps/shipshape-pro/

There are two versions: Pro for $39 and you own it, or the upgraded Shipshape, which is a $9 per year subscriptions. Both are expensive for apps, but less than a rounding error in boat ownership . . . And they work as advertised.

Hmmm, not quite...."TicketyBoo is a trading name of Intelligent Maintenance LLC" (at the bottom of the new site).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom