Lucas motor oil additive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

What are the forums thoughts on the use of Lucas motor oil additive in an older engine? I have the 3208N in the boat just purchased--1600 hours on the engines. Don't know oil consumption, but my diesel mechanics strongly encourages me to change the oil* and add Lucas to the fresh oil? I think the oil change is a good idea so I will have a known starting point in that regard, but add Lucas??

snake oil....unless those engine have problems...they have another 8000 hours of good service if you treat them right...and then they can be rebuilt for a song for another 10,000 hours.

I sold my sportfish with twin 320hp 3208Ts with over 3500 hrs in a 1988 boat and the engine survey/oil analysis came back perfect a few years ago.

I'm a big believer in good old Rotella 15W40 (5W40 if operating in winter with no hot start)...changed every 200 hrs with no additives. Me and a whole bunch of guys have millions of miles and hundreds of thouands of hours on our diesels. All the hype about everything else is just that...unecessary hype and/or expense.

Synthetics are good for gear type non-combustion rigs...but combustion byproducts force you to change the oil more often (or at least when analysis says to) than in a gear case...so gear oil that's sysnthetic is less of a waste as it can go much longer bewtween changes. Plus the synthetics do better at high temps that your engine should never see.

When you do the oil change, and that is a good idea, get an oil sample done and then keep doing it at each subsequent change.

As for the additive save your money for something else. Just use a good quality oil from a major.

I think this thread got moved to Power Systems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom