Talk me down y’all. Think I’m in love.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well cappy208 you’re correct I’ve never done that on a Choylee. What I have done is that and MUCH more on a Bill Tripp designed John Trumpy built beauty built right here in the USA.
The point is Oceanus was a “goldplater” that because of ownership was in sad disrepair. All it’s premium building could not prevent the deterioration from occurring.

So Cardude, come down a bit and look for a good 43. CHEOY LEE 43 MS sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cheoy Lee is not Taiwan and is quite an old respected company.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheoy Lee Shipyard has been owned and operated by the same family for more than a century. As a building and a repair yard at Po Tung Point in Shanghai, Cheoy Lee began producing steam powered craft. After 1936, the business moved to what was then the British territory of Hong Kong.
By the mid 1950's, the shipyard diversified into the production of teak sailing and motor yachts and the success of the newly formed pleasure craft division was soon apparent. By the mid 1960's, a majority of the company's production was pleasure craft, with large numbers being exported to the United States.
During the 1960's, Cheoy Lee was one of the pioneers in the development, testing and use of fiberglass construction techniques and a forerunner in the use of GRP/Foam sandwich technology in the marine field.
In 1977, Cheoy Lee built a 130' motor sailer, the world's largest GRP vessel of the time.
Other than on a strictly custom basis, Cheoy Lee stopped building sailing yachts in 1990 to concentrate on large Motor Yachts.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Motor sailers are nice but, if I recall correctly, from my dock, I have to clear 5 or 6 bridges north or south to get to the ocean

Donsan is clearly talking about a different boat. This one is so far from being as he described that the mods should relocate his post.

Donsan has already apologised and pointed out what he said was tongue in cheek, in an 'endeavor' ('scuse the pun) to do what the OP asked - talk him out of it. :)

Wow

Like a sultry movie screen goddess this lady has likely broken a lot of hearts in her time. Truly a beautiful restoration. Most boats (dare I use that word?) are not perfect; she certainly comes close in so many wonderfully tittilating ways.

The lines of her graceful hull, the rise of her twin masts, the soft glow of all that interior wood.... ieeeee! I must put down the IPad and walk away before I become as distraught as car-dude over this mistress!

So much for my lusting after those "N" trawlers... :lol:

Last edited:
It’s all good y’all. Just thought it was a cool boat and was doing some dreaming.

Need to spend some more time on my current boat before I start looking around. Last kid off too college in September!

I’d rent it on VRBO!

Cardude01,
To make you feel good, I will not be putting in an offer on that boat.

For some reason Cheoy Lee makes me think Taiwanese Tub as well, but you are probably correct in saying that is unfair. I love my Nordhavn N43 which is built in the same part of the world, and I have always admired the Cheoy Lee motorsailers, the 66 Cheoy Lee’s with walk around decks, the Midnight Laces, as well as Some of their wooden sail boats, and a wooden PassageMaker they built. Maybe it is the Cheoy Leakey jokes, maybe stupid prejudice. Thank you, it is making me think.
Best,
Maldwin

I just looked at the listing, and it looks very promising. I have had 3 survey failures on Laces, so am leery of Cheoy Lee. In fairness, the boats would have been great if I had spent 2 or 3 times their value refitting them, and this boat looks as though she may not need it. It may be the familiar case of the most expensive boat being the cheapest in the long run.
Best,
Maldwin

There was a Choey Lee motor sailor in New Orleans for a few years until Hurricane Katrina took out the marina. It had a flag blue hull and was drop dead gorgeous. I swore I would have one some day and take her to the South Pacific. I have no idea what happened to that boat or if it managed to escape before the storm.

Move on 10 years and a heart surgery later and I knew my dreams of sailing the South Pacific were over. So I bought a CL with a pair of Caterpillar iron sails.

I did survey a 90’ CL motor sailor in the early 1990’s that had the problems Cappy 2008 described. It had been well and truly neglected by a professional gambler owner. I have never seen one that had been maintained properly that had these problems. I don’t know much about the smaller production sailboats though. Maybe they were afflicted with the mid week disease. I don’t know. All the big boats are custom made though and tough as a brick outhouse.

Even my boat, that had been somewhat neglected by the owner and I had bought with the idea of restoration, was sound structurally and mechanically. It had good bones. Still does.

I don’t think it’s overpriced. I have been watching these for years. Never seen one go for less than $350k.

Yeah. I've been eyeing that one for a while.
Just one Powerball ticket...

The initial price doesn’t scare me so bad, but the upkeep dollars and time required might overwhelm me. Seems like the kind of boat I would have to live on to keep up with everything.

Last edited:
Cardude,

No, we didn't get aboard. Coincidentally we (she) decided to pursue our current boat as I was looking at airfare to Santa Barbara.

I still really really like her, for many of the reasons mentioned by others. We plan to go to the South Pacific in a few years if not dead by then. I think the CL would be a delightful and comfortable way to go there. They seem scarce, so resale may be OK if she is pampered. I would love to get aboard.

Best Wishes

I think the remarks about Cheoy Lee yachts is infair, I had one for years and Sailed her over 10,000 blue water miles over the years. She was rock solid, and never had issues.
She was a Hong Kong built boat. The CL Motorsailer's are well respected boats and I personally knew of a few that crossed the Pacific at the time we did. There were a bunch of Cheoy Lee's in Santa Barbara as the Brokerage there was the largest west coast sales office for Cheoy Lee Yachts. They are beautiful boats with great teak interiors.
From what I have seen in the past this boat is in great shape and a good price.. definitely a lot of bang for the buck
HOLLYWOOD

"Nice. So aren't "Motor Sail" boats designed to run with both motors running with sails up?"

Hardly ever, in this day and age,although it can be done.

Inshore and in a calm the engines provide both propulsion and lifestyle, DC power , same as most sail boats.

Offshore the sails are large enough to provide propulsion from a modest breeze (say 7K ) on up , depending on wind direction.

The old 50/50 MS days are long gone , the modern MS can maintain whatever speed the owners desire , frequently with no noise or stench.

For an ocean voyager the MS gives the best options between speed and on board work and travel costs.

Last edited:
If the slip is in Santa Barbara and it will transfer with the boat, it has a value equal to the price of the boat in some respects. I talked to the marina manager about five years ago regarding getting on the waitlist. Long story short, unless you are 22 years old, don’t bother.

Hi, something the same in design, the price is but considerably higher + trumph new tax :) and no masts. Dutch steel boat.

https://www.nettivene.com/moottorivene/muu-merkki/705343

Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-f82f3147dfa82112-smallThumbnail.jpg
Moottorivene-Muu-merkki-a6458729adb5ffc2-smallThumbnail.jpg

NBs

If the slip is in Santa Barbara and it will transfer with the boat, it has a value equal to the price of the boat in some respects. I talked to the marina manager about five years ago regarding getting on the waitlist. Long story short, unless you are 22 years old, don’t bother.

Yeah not sure if the slip is available. I did see on the marina website that if the slip transferred there is a pretty good sized fee to do so. Goes by the foot, and I think it was like $22k for this slip.

Isn’t there also ad valorem tax on boats in CA? How much is that?

Yeah not sure if the slip is available. I did see on the marina website that if the slip transferred there is a pretty good sized fee to do so. Goes by the foot, and I think it was like $22k for this slip.

Santa Barbara has a very " interesting " situation on slips, when down there last year the current value of a 35' slip was around $ 75,000 +-. You have to pay a transfer fee to get the slip into your name ( $ 200-$450 per linear foot of the total length of vessel and overhangs) plus fees to a lawyer to do the transfer. It gets really expensive really quick.

And yes Cali also charges a personal property tax on boats. The reason it costs so much in SB is that it is the absolute best place in Cal to have a boat.
I'm still kicking myself for selling my slip there.
HOLLYWOOD

I don’t think it’s overpriced. I have been watching these for years. Never seen one go for less than $350k.

Is that asking price in the YW ad when it sells or the actual sale price? There can be a large difference between the two.

Santa Barbara has a very " interesting " situation on slips, when down there last year the current value of a 35' slip was around $ 75,000 +-. You have to pay a transfer fee to get the slip into your name ( $ 200-$450 per linear foot of the total length of vessel and overhangs) plus fees to a lawyer to do the transfer. It gets really expensive really quick.

And yes Cali also charges a personal property tax on boats. The reason it costs so much in SB is that it is the absolute best place in Cal to have a boat.
I'm still kicking myself for selling my slip there.
HOLLYWOOD

I’m not a California savvy guy, or a real estate expert by any stretch, but could a case be made that because of this location in SB, even after slip rental, property tax and maintenance, it could still be considered a decent deal as a “waterfront condo”? And then you get the advantage of going cruising if you want.

Can a boat be run as a business in CA so one could expense these annual costs? Maybe rent it out a few times as a dockside vacation “condo” a few weeks out of the year? That always sounds so scary to me however. So much stuff a non boat person could screw up.

Just spitballing. Trying to justify big boats is interesting. Lol.

Is that asking price in the YW ad when it sells or the actual sale price? There can be a large difference between the two.

As I said, never seen one go for less than $350k. Watched for years. My budget was $250k all cash. Was never enough to get any interest from a seller. And I REALLY wanted one. Sigh.

I’m not a California savvy guy, or a real estate expert by any stretch, but could a case be made that because of this location in SB, even after slip rental, property tax and maintenance, it could still be considered a decent deal as a “waterfront condo”? And then you get the advantage of going cruising if you want.

Can a boat be run as a business in CA so one could expense these annual costs? Maybe rent it out a few times as a dockside vacation “condo” a few weeks out of the year? That always sounds so scary to me however. So much stuff a non boat person could screw up.

I lived in SB in the 80's, and visit regularly but I have never had a boat there, so Hollywood or others with more info can correct me if I am wrong on the following:

I don't think they allow live a boards, especially not new ones. If there is a live a board list, you will probably be over 100 years old when they call you.

Boat rentals or operating any type of business with your boat - I am going to guess no way that will allow that, but again, that is just my impression from talking with the harbor master awhile back.

Keep in mind SB is a small marina, very high rent area. Getting a guest dock there alone is tough. The harbor master said they won't take reservations, and they won't even talk to you on the VHF about a reservation until you have hit the harbor entrance. First come, first serve, was what he told me.

$22K for a slip aint much. The market value of my 75 foot slip is now $275K. I paid $81K for it, about 15 years ago.

$22K for a slip aint much. The market value of my 75 foot slip is now $275K. I paid $81K for it, about 15 years ago.

It totals up really quick,

$ 75,000 for the right to pay $16.00 per ft. a month. ( $560 a month)

Plus a $300 a foot for the lease transfer fee ( $ 10,500 )

And there is a fee for the county property tax.

HOLLYWOOD

Back
Top Bottom