Prairie 29 Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmcleodfl

Vessel Name
Journey
Vessel Make
29 Prairie
Hello all, I am a new owner of a Prairie 29. A 1978, hull number 7. My questions have to do with the main cabin windows. They are currently made of plastic and are very crazed to the point that you can hardly see out them. The frames are metal and they do not leak.

Does any one have any experience with replacement windows?
Would you replace them with plastic or go with tempered glass?
Is their a concern for weight differences?
Would you replace just the panel or frame and all?
Can you recommend a vendor?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

John

I have a Prairie 36 and my windows are glass and are holding up well. my side door windows are plastic of some kind and are pretty crazed too. I'm temped to use glass as a replacement as these windows are not huge and weight different would be pretty small. The price of tempered glass may be quite a bit higher but I haven't priced it. I much prefer glass in the long run just because of the crazing issue.

Kevin

If you go with lexan, the Marguard versions hold up much better according to reports. I think Brooksie did plastic windows in his Willard.

I got a price on glass front windows and they come a power coated frame. I have to fabricate a pattern of the openings. I have to take the frame off to get the pattern. Does anybody have any experience with taking the windows apart?

If they were installed with 5200 they will get torn apart while uninstalling them. But if they used some other adhesive there’s a chance you could uninstall them and send the windows as the template. Look online for 5200, 4200 remover. It works pretty well for 4200. But 5200 is just about impossible to remove ( at least cleanly). A glazier may be helpful to have a pro uninstall the glass/lexan. It may be possible to remove the window pane and not damage the frame itself.

I know one of my side (sliding) window panels was replaced at one point. And it appears that it was done institu because the lexan is very slightly darker than the others and the frame is identical to the others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom