Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #26
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Anchor design and performance

Scott,

Indeed: *Sideways pull on a run-of-the-mill steel Danforth is an anchor killer. That and rocky bottoms. The stocks are easily bent too. But when it comes to holding power they are king. Ther'es a whole sack full of anchors that come close and they offer many benefits the Dan's lack. But re the shank if you look at all the other anchors they really are'nt much different and as we found out re the Rocna the material the shank's made out of is very important. The Fortress shank is made of a high strength alloy (possibly 7075) and I'd feel quite comfortable w it but the majority of Danforths these days are obviously made from steel plate. The Forfjord has the most bullet proof shank I know of being made of large square stock. My XYZ having such a short shank is also very strong assuming it's made out of very strong stuff, and I believe it is. But the Danforth was the hot dog for many years and still has excellent performance in most conditions, even by today's standards. And the Fortress (an optimized Danforth design) is still king of the holding power hill. There we have'nt been able to beat the 1938 design. I think FF said that's when the Danforth came out. Re your comment I believe the Dan's have 2 things that do impede penetration. The upper pad and the stock. It could be argued that both are neutral as the lower pad would cancel the upper and the drag of the stock is neutral. What do you think Scott?
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote