Bahamas Itinerary and Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My question is about hurricane season. I was strongly considering going to the Bahamas after the season and I’m not sure what my insurance company will think of an extended cruise in the middle of the season? Although in fact, I haven’t asked them. (Geico). They do always seem to want to know where I am and my plans for hurricanes.

The question being??

I, for one, have been chased out of the Bahamas by a hurricane. Bertha to be specific. We ran a couple days out of San Sal NW due to the forecast. Stopped at this famous hurricane hole in Eleuthra. Decided not to stay. At Gt Harbor, we lost the alternator (just had one). Made it to Freeport just before the wind came, in absolutely flat seas, but deadish batteries. At that point it was getting dicey. We holed up in a private canal, tried anchoring. That worked until the middle of the nite, where we had to rethink. Ultimately, we tied to trees. Trapped by rough seas for couple days; then shot due west home in 12' rolly swells. A blast at the time.

So, you take your chances.

Last edited:
My question is about hurricane season. I was strongly considering going to the Bahamas after the season and I’m not sure what my insurance company will think of an extended cruise in the middle of the season? Although in fact, I haven’t asked them. (Geico). They do always seem to want to know where I am and my plans for hurricanes.

We submit navigation limits every year before we renew. If we find ourselves going out side the nav limits during the year, we give our agent 2-3 weeks notice, they go to the underwriters and come back with the additional cost for the additional navigation area. We’ve done this many times and it’s cheaper for us than trying to insure for an area for the year that we may go to. We’re with Geico Marine (use to be SeaWorthy) which is different from Geico/BoatUS.

We submit navigation limits every year before we renew. If we find ourselves going out side the nav limits during the year, we give our agent 2-3 weeks notice, they go to the underwriters and come back with the additional cost for the additional navigation area. We’ve done this many times and it’s cheaper for us than trying to insure for an area for the year that we may go to. We’re with Geico Marine (use to be SeaWorthy) which is different from Geico/BoatUS.

A good approach. We have coverage simply because of where we live. I know it's obvious, but still needs to be said, The Bahamas don't shut down for hurricane season. Most of the time there is no hurricane. Most hurricanes do come with adequate warning. You weigh risk at all times. Who would have thought boats would be lost this week along the Massachusetts coast, but it's happened. You just make the best decisions you can, but by avoiding every area subject to hurricanes during hurricane season, you won't be doing much boating.

I too am with Geico Marine. I submit my hurricane plan every season. My question was simply ‘what do insurance companies think of cruising the Bahamas during hurricane season?’ For me, I am subject to increased deductibles and have to notify in advance and pay additional premium to expand navigational limits.

I too am with Geico Marine. I submit my hurricane plan every season. My question was simply ‘what do insurance companies think of cruising the Bahamas during hurricane season?’ For me, I am subject to increased deductibles and have to notify in advance and pay additional premium to expand navigational limits.

It all depends on the policy and company. Yours thinks, "Ok, just a little extra." Ours thinks "You're already covered." Another might think "no way."

We are with Allstate, we get a Bahamas rider on our policy every year, it's not very much...$50 I think?

We go during the beginning of hurricane season every year, we do keep a close eye on things but so far we have been pretty lucky, just a few low pressures coming through that bring 2 to 4 days of rain and moderate winds. Usually just after they pass is a period of super nice weather though with very light winds.

Our strategy is to be in remote areas during good weather, more populated places during bad as it gives us stuff to do off of the boat.

The trip from Pete's Pub in the Abacos to Spanish Wells is doable on a good day. The marina at Spanish Wells has been upgraded and is very nice and reasonable. Spanish Wells has a proper grocery, and is no longer dry! From there you can take the fast ferry to Harbor Island for the day, or hire a local to guide you through the Devil's Backbone on your boat to stay at one of the Harbor Island marinas (they are not reasonable, but give you access to Harbor Island sites and sounds). The trip from Spanish Wells to Highborn Cay in the Exumas is also doable on a good day, and as others have said, the Exumas are great. We did this trip in reverse last year. Our blog has some info-mvmoondance.blogspot.com. It is a great trip!

On my list is to make a call to my insurance co. I hope that conversation does not result in a change of plans!! Present policy keeps me N of Fla beginning June 1. Hope I can buy a rider.

On a road trip to KW to help the folks. Will be off site for a while.

Thanks all for the good tips!!

Just a little update: Plans still in effect, planning on leaving NC Jun 9.

One relevant tidbit: My insurance has me restricted to north of Fla beginning Jun 1. I was able to purchase a rider for coverage in Sfla and Bahamas for a month, ending Jul 9. Cost reasonable.

Girl has been helping getting the boat livable. This boat was built by a full on gearhead and now there are flowers in the head and galley!!

Going to have another couple meet us in the Abacos for a few days. I think they will fly over to one of the strips on Abaco.

Any good hints on air service from Fla to Abaco?

Last edited:
Ski

We are planning a trip to the Abacos for three weeks about the middle of June. A little later in the year than we like but we had other commitments. As time gets closer we will touch base and perhaps meet up some place.

It all depends on the policy and company. Yours thinks, "Ok, just a little extra." Ours thinks "You're already covered." Another might think "no way."

We just got back from Green Turtle about 3 hours ago. I flew over privately but I hear Silver Airways has the best prices from Ft. Lauderdale.

Going to have another couple meet us in the Abacos for a few days. I think they will fly over to one of the strips on Abaco.

Any good hints on air service from Fla to Abaco?

We just got back from Green Turtle about 3 hours ago. I flew over privately but I hear Silver Airways has the best prices from Ft. Lauderdale.

Well, it is happening. Lugging a few last items down to the dock and off we should go, about 8-9am. ICW mostly, but will try to avoid Ga. Hope to jump off to Abaco in mid week.

Outstanding. How long will you guys be there again?

We will arrive in GTC on July 6th (purposely wanted to miss the big party) and will be there until the 21st.

We will arrive in GTC on July 6th (purposely wanted to miss the big party) and will be there until the 21st.

What party?

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 294
Hi Ski

We are leaving for the Abacos and plan to clear at Lucaya on Thursday June 14. If we meet up I’ll buy you a few beverages for all your help over the years. We plan on being in the Abacos 3-4 weeks, hopefully we can hook up.

Look for a 54 Grand Banks, Gotcha.

Hi Ski

We are leaving for the Abacos and plan to clear at Lucaya on Thursday June 14. If we meet up I’ll buy you a few beverages for all your help over the years. We plan on being in the Abacos 3-4 weeks, hopefully we can hook up.

Ski: Show up around dinner time and you won’t be disappointed. Irv is a great conversationalist :rolleyes: and Watfa is one hell of a cook. :thumb:

Hi Ski

Surprised you are clearing in Lucaya if going to Abaco. Are you then going around hole-in-the-wall and in at Little Harbour or North Bar?

Ski, Larry is right, she loves to cook and will be happy to feed you give you water if your tanks are low. I’m a conversationalist when drunk but since I don’t drink I’m reserved. LOL

Menzies, my crew likes the party at Lucaya the first night. We will then go around West End and start from the north working south. Can’t make it through the canal on the other side as we need five feet.

Ski, Larry is right, she loves to cook and will be happy to feed you give you water if your tanks are low. I’m a conversationalist when drunk but since I don’t drink I’m reserved. LOL

Menzies, my crew likes the party at Lucaya the first night. We will then go around West End and start from the north working south. Can’t make it through the canal on the other side as we need five feet.

No less than 7' at high tide in January through March of this year.

Got it. We did Lucaya last year, but on the way to Exuma via the Berries. While we took the water taxi over to the marketplace we didn't party - too early a start the next day!

What are you adding going back to West End - 4 hours?

Do you attempt Indian Cay or go up to Memory Rock?

Boatpoker I have no doubt that is what the info says but having been through the other side many times with a Four foot draft I’m not taking this boat that route as it fills in with a big storm.

Menzies we will take our time and try to catch a fish or two, then take Indian Cay (if you stay in the channel there is good water). We run getting there and then go slow and relax. The past six years we have avoided the Abacos.

No, we just enjoy the less populated Bahamas. I’ve been going there since the 1950s.

Boatpoker I have no doubt that is what the info says but having been through the other side many times with a Four foot draft I’m not taking this boat that route as it fills in with a big storm.

Menzies we will take our time and try to catch a fish or two, then take Indian Cay (if you stay in the channel there is good water). We run getting there and then go slow and relax. The past six years we have avoided the Abacos.

Not sure what"info" you are referring to. I was just recounting what we saw this year.

Boatpoker

Sorry, I assumed you used the tide tables. I’ve never seen seven feet on the other entrance.

Hi all. Just got wifi here in St. Augustine. Ran the ditch to Savannah, then offshore this am from sav to st. auggie. We camped on the hook last two nights, first in G-town, then in the Herb river. Boat is running well. We are going to pick up crew in ft pierce thurs am and then over to abacos. Got a little beat up this am south of savannah, but it layed down nicely mid day. Got a free wash five minutes after tie up with thunderstorm. Credit card is pretty warm!!

Hi Ski

You should have a nice crossing. We are leaving Thursday to clear In Lucaya. Perhaps we shall meet up, we stay on the hook most of the time going in to dock occasionally. Our trip is between 3-4 weeks, spending the last few days in the Berries.

Smooth sailing.

Back
Top Bottom