Swim Platform Replacement: 1982 Grand Banks 42' Motoryacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Looking to replace the swim platform on our 1982 Grand Banks 42' Motoryacht. Thought I would have time this winter to build one, but never could get it fit in.

Any recommendations? Or do I have to commission someone to build one?

Thanks
Kurt

What are your DIY skills?

GB 42 OEM Swimgrids are way too narrow and weak. I have seen several that collapsed when gently crushed between boat and dock and none that were wide enough to be properly useful.

Yes, I have a bias, having taken the original 21" deep Swimgrid off of my own boat and added 13" to its depth. Mine was better designed than those on the GB to begin with, so all I needed to do was add several new teak strips between the old SG and the transom, and replace the supports. Simple, though I did need to buy several new clamps.

If I was to tackle a GB SG, I would look seriously at building one out of FG. I would go for 30" depth, unless there are davits attached that stick out over the SG, where I would go out another few inches, with a ladder that would be attached to its underside, with several grab handles along the trailing edge. The supports I have are 1/4" flatbar supported by 2" pipe.

Thanks very much!

Looking to replace the swim platform on our 1982 Grand Banks 42' Motoryacht. Thought I would have time this winter to build one, but never could get it fit in.

Any recommendations? Or do I have to commission someone to build one?

Thanks
Kurt

If you are considering PlasTeak ....... having bought one last year for our boat, I would re think Plas Teak ..... Although it looks good, the material is very heavy and will distort with heat if in sunlight. Even our 16" wide steps on the stern boarding ladder have a big sag. If I was to do it again, I would go with glass ....... IMHO ....... fb

Contact Butler and see if one of their pre-made models fits your budget, unless you are determined to DIY. They have the pattern for your boat I'm sure, being a fairly common model. https://butlermarine.com/
If you want it bigger, I'm sure they can advise on that too.

Thanks everyone, got in touch with Butler Marine and I think they are going to be our first choice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom