Keyboards and Mouses...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Perhaps a silly question for some, but I thought I'd ask anyways. Do people have a specific keyboard and mouse that they really like? I am considering one of these flexible keyboards and also a Kensington trackball mouse. I found the wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combination unreliable. The keyboard failed, although the wireless mouse part is still running. The computer will not be connected to the internet. The only time I use the keyboard is to name routes on Coastal Explorer.

As I am upgrading to Windows 10 and a NUC, I'm interested in options and people's preferences. Wireless or wired.

Kensington trackball. I understand the "Cue-ball" size is preferred.

https://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/trackballs

Flexible Keypad

https://www.pc-canada.com/item/AKB-212UB.html

Jim

Well, we're all wireless so not really any help to you since you've dismissed that route.

Well, we're all wireless so not really any help to you since you've dismissed that route.

Well I haven't entirely dismissed it. Do you still need those USB dongles or can they communicate directly by Bluetooth?

Jim

I use an all in one computer system, it’s a back up system, my primary is raymarine e series. It uses a wireless keyboard and mouse, it’s also touch screen. Mostly use it for keeping track of all the container ships.

Well I haven't entirely dismissed it. Do you still need those USB dongles or can they communicate directly by Bluetooth?

Jim

On the slightly pricey side, in the $75 range, the Logitech MK850. It uses the unifying receiver and will work either on USB (dongle) or Bluetooth. We use USB.

Best mouse of any set and great keyboard. We have no issues in dependability. I do wear keyboards out and change when my wife points out that you can't read the letters any more.

We’ve had good experiences with Logitech products and after sales support.

I have a Logitech wireless keyboard for my all in one computer. Have had mostly good results. It doesn't like to bake in the sun which may require you to turn it off and back on to reset it. Also, when I turn the computer off, the keyboard keeps searching for the computer which wears the batteries out sooner. So I just have to remember to turn off the keyboard each night when I turn off the computer.

Ted

Never turn the computer off so hadn't even thought of that.

I wasn’t sure of the plural form of a computer device!

Thanks all. I’m leaning towards a smaller keyboard without the numeric keypad as this is strictly a nav computer with no data entry, internet surfing, etc. I’m also leaning towards one of those flexible keyboards and a Kensington trackball. A regular mouse becomes an adventure to operate in rough conditions. I’ve also been convinced to consider the wireless option again.

Jim

I wasn’t sure of the plural form of a computer device!

Thanks all. I’m leaning towards a smaller keyboard without the numeric keypad as this is strictly a nav computer with no data entry, internet surfing, etc. I’m also leaning towards one of those flexible keyboards and a Kensington trackball. A regular mouse becomes an adventure to operate in rough conditions. I’ve also been convinced to consider the wireless option again.

Jim

Wifey B: Mouses and mice are both acceptable for the computer device. Mice is the most used but it's generally in the form of "computer mice."

Optical mouse is not very difficult to operate in rough conditions in my experience. I don't like trackballs but that's just a personal thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom