View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
Mike Lowthian
Veteran Member

City: Toronto,ON
Vessel Name: Acadia ll
Vessel Model: Chung Wha
I have made this trip many times - trawler @ 8 kts. Here is my input:

-anytime after April produces the best weather and seas. Summer is calm and very hot. The busiest time is the summer.

-Miami to Bimini. 45 miles. (or from Ft. Lauderdale a little longer) I love Bimini. Very laid back but now they have the fancy new resort for the high living. You can anchor for free in the main harbor.

-Bimini to Brand Bahamas. Stay in a marina in Lucayan Harbour (Bell Channel)Short stay is all you need.

-transit through the Grand Bahama canal. Need a draft less than 5'. High tide no problem.

-overnight on the hook at Great Sale and then on to Allan Pennsecola or Moraine Cay.

-Green Turtle Cay is next. On the hook in White Sound) or at the marinas (Green Turtle Club or Bluff House, love them both). Or anchor in Black Sound.

-Treasure Cay is a nice spot, great beach. Expensive marina but there is an anchoring area. Fab beach.

-then you have your choice of the entire Abacos. My favs are Marsh Harbour, Elbow Cay (Hopetown), Guana Cay (both town harbour and the bay at Grabbers).

-I like Little Harbour but need less than 5' draft. Say hello to Pete for me.

-A trip over to Eleuthera is only about 45 miles from Little Harbour and well worth it. Harbour Island is the best but you have to transit the Devil's Backbone reef which you should use the local pilot to do if it is your first trip. Two great marinas (Valentines and Ramoura) or you can anchor off very conveniently.

-from Eleuthera it is an easy trip down to Nassau and the Exumas if you have the time. Also well worth it.

-you will need the current cruising guides which are all up to date and very useful.

Hope this helps and Good luck.

Mike
Mike Lowthian is offline   Reply With Quote