View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRRiley View Post
Perhaps you'd post those from your current vessel? Not to be disturbing, but I do think the schematics posted earlier are somewhat unusual in their detail for both the cost, and the size of the vessel.
Perhaps so for the cost and size.

I do think that should be an expectation on any new build, however, even if it's not something some builders provide. It's not just a reflection of thoroughness, it's a reflection of doing things the right way. You build by detailed plans and specifications as opposed to those who build a hull and then just start putting things in as they fit and without having a real plan in advance.

This is where I also have an issue with many who build in one place and commission in another and fail to put the commissioning in the original plans. They then don't have complete detailed plans and also all the commissioning isn't part of their balancing and stability and general performance criteria. The location of generators and water makers and batteries can make a lot of difference on a small or moderate sized boat. You have a naval architect lay everything out and then at the end you start placing things without any plan from or review by him. There have even been cases of builders still playing with ballast and a boat flipping into the water at launch.

That brings an additional question. For those who get original schematics, do you update as you make changes and additions along the way. I wonder if anyone here has bought a used boat that had original plans plus changes made to them. I doubt it, unfortunately.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote