Random misc questions and comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
So the cockpit washdown has a lock on the door and it’s locked and nobody has a key. :banghead:

That metal piece on the side...is that a manual handle in case windlass fails?

Anybody familiar with seatel? There’s a seatel dome on the boat. I saw one old post on here when I did a search where someone said it works with direct tv. I don’t know what model it is or how old it is.

I’ve read several threads on these topics but I know new stuff is always coming out...so what is your favorite product to clean dirty vinyl covered flybridge cushions? What is your favorite product to clean and polish stainless steel? I figured that during the trip home I can be doing some cleaning.

I read somewhere that it’s bad luck to have suitcases on board....where on earth did that come from and is it true? :lol::blush::confused:

Attachments

• CAC313BD-171F-4AA7-B277-7901F90C770F.jpg
    CAC313BD-171F-4AA7-B277-7901F90C770F.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 2F8E3605-5040-4920-A608-4EBF00667F13.jpg
    2F8E3605-5040-4920-A608-4EBF00667F13.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 117
  • A69765FC-EEDB-4EEC-B6B6-46BBBB1CD571.jpg
    A69765FC-EEDB-4EEC-B6B6-46BBBB1CD571.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 108
  • 878B3D8C-EA59-4D37-AE36-18DF21E63EE0.jpg
    878B3D8C-EA59-4D37-AE36-18DF21E63EE0.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 100
Worse case, you can get a locksmith to open that locker.

The bar is used to adjust the clutch on the windlass. Loosen it and you can lower the anchor controlling the free fall rather than powering the anchor down with the windlass.

Boat we purchased back in the Fall had a Sea Tel system on it. It is no longer on the boat.

The control pad looks the same as the one we had.

It was an older system. It would work with DirectTV, but only in standard definition. No HD. What we had was pretty ancient technology in general, would expect it to be problematic. Will be difficult to get the positioning unit serviced if anything goes wrong.

I knew we would change it out if we purchased the boat. One of the first things we did. Went with a KVH HD7. Very happy with it so far.

Mark

Someone beat me to the Seatel link. They make and have made a lot of products. Like much of technology, generations become outdated.

As to suitcases on board, many allow no hard sided luggage, just soft collapsible. Storage is the only issue I'm aware of.

Now, some bring things aboard in bags or immediately remove the suitcases, putting them back in a car or somewhere.

We don't carry suitcases on board but have had people fly in to meet us who had them. We did have one time we had to make an unexpected trip from the boat and had to buy some luggage to do so.

A good set of lock picks is under $20, learn a new skill!

Boat we purchased back in the Fall had a Sea Tel system on it. It is no longer on the boat.

The control pad looks the same as the one we had.

It was an older system. It would work with DirectTV, but only in standard definition. No HD. What we had was pretty ancient technology in general, would expect it to be problematic. Will be difficult to get the positioning unit serviced if anything goes wrong.

I knew we would change it out if we purchased the boat. One of the first things we did. Went with a KVH HD7. Very happy with it so far.

Mark

Yeah, We figured it was old and probably obsolete. I can do without TV until football season starts...that gives David a little time to research what he wants. Lol

Someone beat me to the Seatel link. They make and have made a lot of products. Like much of technology, generations become outdated.

As to suitcases on board, many allow no hard sided luggage, just soft collapsible. Storage is the only issue I'm aware of.

Now, some bring things aboard in bags or immediately remove the suitcases, putting them back in a car or somewhere.

We don't carry suitcases on board but have had people fly in to meet us who had them. We did have one time we had to make an unexpected trip from the boat and had to buy some luggage to do so.

I’d heard of bananas being bad luck...but never heard suitcases! We are flying to Florida and are bringing some stuff for the boat that we already have in a suitcase. So the suitcase is coming along on the boat for the trip home. I hope I’m not jinxing us....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

A good set of lock picks is under $20, learn a new skill!

I think we’ll just got a locksmith.
Or just remove the lock and replace the knob. We don’t need a locking mechanism for that.

I have an older Sea Tel, but it works great with Direct T.V. However, it is only standard definition, and I’m not sure how much longer the standard Def. satellites will be up in space for.

You might try any key that will fit into the lock. These locks are quite simple and if they are anything like the RV world, there are probably only a few key codes. The service manager at the RV shop said there are only 4 or 5 codes for the basement locks on RVs.

I don’t know. Won’t see the boat until next week.

If it does. More than likely that's the key #. In my line of work there's only a handful of keys used buy various mfg. So if it does have one you can probably get a lock and key place to cut one just buy giving them the number.

If it does. More than likely that's the key #. In my line of work there's only a handful of keys used buy various mfg. So if it does have one you can probably get a lock and key place to cut one just buy giving them the number.

Thanks....I’ll look and see when we get to the boat next week.

So what's the point in a lock if its so simple to get a new key?

"So what's the point in a lock if its so simple to get a new key?"

A lock only keeps an honest man honest.

A bad person has a crowbar & hammer.

Remember in some areas the motto is ," If you cant steal it destroy it."

One point is to keep it secure and keep it from accidentally opening. Another is to keep guests and kids aboard from opening it unless you want them to. Then the third is to keep non-professional thieves, petty thieves from accessing.

same lock used on desks, file cabinets etc. Look in your old keys pile and try them all. Wiggle the keys and if it is close it will work. Those locks are easy to replace and available at hardware stores.

I’m trying to figure out why you put a lock on THAT in the first place. It’s just a washdown.

A thin knife blade may open that lock. Either in the lock or to pry back the latch.

Greetings,
Ms. S. "It’s just a washdown." Maybe it was initially installed as a beer tap that someone simply converted to a washdown.

Now, IF you attend the p*ss-up in Ft. Pierce next year perhaps you can convert it back to what it was intended for originally. If done, you're pretty well a shoe-in for "best boat" BUT if you do, keep the lock on. Just sayin'...

200w.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom