The Mother

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Here is the mother of all trawlers as I see it. If it was'nt for our awful*weather I'd buy her.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2404172&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=22784&url=

The only contemporary boat that comes close is of course the Krogen full disp cruisers and perhaps a 40' Willard. Here's a heavy and deep 40' full disp cruiser that makes 7 knots easily w a 63hp 3 cyl GM diesel. Why did'nt/do'nt they make such a boat instead of all the many lesser craft we see regularly. This lady makes most trawlers look like 1959 automobiles. In just a few years we went quite far astray of the wonderful standard she set. Just had to share.*

Nice. Make her w/o all that external decomposing forest product and I could go for it.

She was definitely ahead of her time.

Eric--- You'll get no argument from me on any aspect of this boat. If I had her I would really want to be able to keep her in a boathouse, however. Not that she couldn't survive outside just fine--- I just never see myself having the time to give the boat the kind of exterior preventive maintenance it needs if kept in our weather. If I was retired and had no or very few other hobbies, this boat would be a delight to keep up, however, in a boathouse or outside.

Excellent taste on your part. People pooh-pooh the wood on a boat like this while at the same time saying what a wonderful boat it is. For whatever reason, they never seem to make the connection between their thinkng it's a wonderful boat and that it's the wood that MAKES it a wonderful boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 04:47:51 PM

Marin wrote:
Eric--- You'll get no argument from me on any aspect of this boat. If I had her I would really want to be able to keep her in a boathouse, however. Not that she couldn't survive outside just fine--- I just never see myself having the time to give the boat the kind of exterior preventive maintenance it needs if kept in our weather. If I was retired and had no or very few other hobbies, this boat would be a delight to keep up, however, in a boathouse or outside.

Excellent taste on your part. People pooh-pooh the wood on a boat like this while at the same time saying what a wonderful boat it is. For whatever reason, they never seem to make the connection between their thinkng it's a wonderful boat and that it's the wood that MAKES it a wonderful boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 04:47:51 PM
Don't disagree at all. Love the wood and it definitely makes the boat. Have had a wood boat that I loved and, for a period in my life, loved taking care of that wood. Although I now have the time, I now don't have the energy or financial resources to do so. If I did, here's a couple of boats that I could love. Though they are not "trawlers", they are easily driven, seakindly boats. Perhaps a bit overpowered for Eric's tastes.

Nor'easter

Burma

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 05:36:07 PM

Attachments

• noreaster.jpg
    noreaster.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 63
  • burma.jpg
    burma.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 62
Marin *....what'll I do without any argument from you? I think I can handle it*
smile.gif

You guys are miss'in the point a bit though. This lady could be built out of anything and 95% of her virtue would still be there. Her form is what she is. The engine, it's power and the ease that it probably is delivered along w the layout that is'nt trying to max the number of heads, berths ect in a given length like an RV or a 23' Bayliner w a fly bridge and 300hp ...just in case one "needs" to go fast w all the kids and pop or beer. Remember that fish boat I featured in my Petersburg pics *...the DUWAM ? Same length, same engine but a bit narrower and deeper *...but of course it's a fish boat. It's what she is gents *...not the pretty wood, brass and bronze. Look at the shape of the stern. Absolutely beautiful and so perfect for what she is and what she was designed to do. Here's another similar boat.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 125.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 125.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 79
Pure class.

David,

Does this look like one of your boats?* Saw this in St. Augustine last May.

Yep, that's it down to the black dinghy.

Great looking boat.* We also saw it again at Jekyll Island, GA..

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 06:48:09 PM

Attachments

• chesapeake trip '11 044.jpg
    chesapeake trip '11 044.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 82
nomadwilly wrote:
This lady could be built out of anything and 95% of her virtue would still be there. Her form is what she is.
*Very true.* There's no reason why fiberglass couldn't be molded this way, or metal bent, cut, and welded*this way.* Instead we get what FF rightly refers to as floating condos with their angular, awkward lines, wannabe windows in the pilothouse, straight, reverse, or stepped sheers, Eruo-swoop appendages, and so on.* Their one virtue is that they have a lot of internal space.*

But the same sense of aesthetics that leads me to not want to drive a butt-ugly car like a Prius despite its clever and efficient use of technology makes me look on most of the production*cruising boats from the 70s through today as ugly.* Everyone is different, but aesthetics is important to me.* I'd rather drive a beautiful car that lacks technological amenities or doesn't have room for*fifteen kids and a*St. Bernard inside, and in the same way I'd rather run a boat that has what I consider great lines but doesn't have as wide a cabin or big, spacious heads, or a dance floor in the pilothouse.* I'll give up a fair amount in trade for aesthetics.

They say you don't see the outside of a boat when you're driving it, and this is true. But I see the outside when I walk up to it, and I see the outside in my*mind.* I find a lot of satisfaction in driving a car that is good looking (to me) and the same is true of a boat even though I can't see much of either one from the driver's seat.

Ironically, the cruising boat I drive is not high on my list of good looking boats.* But at least it's not on my very extensive list of ulgy ones :)

Good post Eric.* Somebody's got to keep reminding us what good marine design is.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 06:34:49 PM

Moonstruck wrote:
David,

Does this look like one of your boats?* Saw this in St. Augustine last May.

Yep, that's it down to the black dinghy.

Great looking boat.* We also saw it again at Jekyll Island, GA..

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 25th of October 2011 06:48:09 PM
Yup. That's Nor'easter. She had some of her upkeep done at billings Diesel & Marine in Stonington on Deer Isle. If you are owned by a family with the name of DuPont it easy to be well maintained no matter what your age.

Marin wrote:
"Ironically, the cruising boat I drive is not high on my list of good looking boats.* But at least it's not on my very extensive list of ulgy ones :)"
I feel the same way about my current boat. I felt differently about my past boat's aesthetics.
* _______________________________________________________________
"I find a lot of satisfaction in driving a car that is good looking (to me)..."
* _______________________________________________________________

Below my current four wheeled mistress that I prefer to drive and for which my present pocketbook can provide. Not much in the way of amenities. Not particularly practical. But beauty to me in its simplicity of style and ease of maintenance (all British car jokes and realities aside for the moment). If my pocketbook were more flush, I might consider casting her aside for another. But not for a modern, cookie cutter vehicle.

Although there are some modern cars that could attract me if they didn't cost as much as a small house.

And some modern boats.

Attachments

• my mgb.jpg
    my mgb.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 88
I noticed the Burma has a canoe stern and anchored from the stern. That is the first time a have seen that and will have to give that some thought. The Eagle has a round stern but when on the hard is very close to a canoe stern. The Skoocum Mara is a Monk Sr. design. Monk Sr. is well know for his classic full displacement which require little HP to attain hull speed.

I agree the wood trim gives a boat the classic Bristol look. Maintaining a boat moored in the open PNW takes time and money. The best way is multi coats of varnish/paint which is canvas/tarp covered during the off season. The Seattle has hundreds of boat dating back to the 1920s which are mostly boat house kept. Here is a site which shows many of the older classic boat. Be careful not to drool on your computer. http://classicyacht.org/

David, is that a 'B'? The seats look way to good for a standard MG setup. Now if you want to upgrade you should look at a mighty Austin Healy 2600 or 3000, although I might be a little biased.

shrimp wrote:
David, is that a 'B'? The seats look way to good for a standard MG setup. Now if you want to upgrade you should look at a mighty Austin Healy 2600 or 3000, although I might be a little biased.
It is a "B", but significantly modified. I've posted this link before so apologies to others on the Forum for the re-post.

MGBV8

Would love to have a Healey but they are priced way out of my means and are too low to the ground for some of our rough local roads. Besides, they are a bit underpowered.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 26th of October 2011 05:37:21 AM

Very, very nice lines on her and love the helm controls!! :)

Wells Grey was a "mother" but not a direct descendant as she was'nt born a trawler. She was born long before there were trawlers but she gave rise to the likes of Skookum Maru and her peers. Here's another boat of the same type and probably both of these vessels were forest service boats when I was a child. The Wells Grey probably dos'nt hail from Sitka anymore. Boat owners put most anything they feel like on their boat as a hailing port. Yachies frequently list where THEY live as a hailing port even though ther'es not even any water anywhere near where they live.

Attachments

• sth71885.jpg
    sth71885.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 91
  • sth71249.jpg
    sth71249.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 102
Chugach is a really nice looking boat, at least from the angle in Eric's photo. Wells Gray is an ex-BC forestry boat. I don't know who Wells Gray was, but there is a huge park in the BC interior named for him, so he was obviously an Important Person in Canada's history.

nomadwilly wrote:
*Boat owners put most anything they feel like on their boat as a hailing port.
*If I was more devious, I would have documented the Coot with the home port of Haines, Alaska.* That way, the State of California wouldn't have made*me pay their $18,000+*use tax some nine months earlier than otherwise required.

Attachments

• haines alaska.jpg
    haines alaska.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 75
Here in Australia if your boat is registered as an Australian Ship (as opposed to a starte registeration) the port of registry must be
a recognised (registered) port.There is an official list of such ports.
My vessel is Australian registered as well as state, the Australian registeration is required if the vessel is going to foreign ports.

They could have just as easily made all most of all the TTs like Skookum Maru and Chugach. Those shining examples were right there in their face *...ready to be copied, duplicated and imitated. Fuel was cheap then so would be trawler owners were probably "nice boat but I may need the capability to go 10 knots" mentality. Thank the stars for Krogen, Willard and Lord Nelson. Evidenced by much conversation here on TF most trawler guys still need to go faster than 7 knots *...for whatever reason I can't imagine. Must be that we all grew up in cars w 200hp and to receive a boat weighing 50 times that much w only 50hp must be like , well, ah, would have to be just un-American.

Tidahapah wrote:
Here in Australia if your boat is registered as an Australian Ship (as opposed to a starte registeration) the port of registry must be
a recognised (registered) port.There is an official list of such ports.
Similar program in Canada except that each boat must have a home city/province corresponding to the owner's province of residence.* It just happens that our home province only has one port of registry, which leads to the bizarre situation of us having the name of a completely landlocked city stencilled on the transom of Gray Hawk.* Coincidentally it also happens that my wife and I both grew up either in or close to that city so its not entirely inappropriate, just weird.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom