Northern Marine Reborn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is the vessel was probably unfinished when the company went under, but the owner may have finished it over the last few years elsewhere. Thus the '17 designation as that was when it was eventually launched.

I was aware of an unfinished boat that was involved in major litigation for years. I'm surprised it made it to Fort Lauderdale and, if this is it, don't know who finished it. They also sold a hull at one time but I don't think this is it. Wonder what year all the equipment is? I find relabeling year to be very disingenuous even when legal.

Now, there's another possibility. The company operating as Northern Marine never owned rights to the name or brand.

Now, they have maintained their website and listed this boat and updated phone numbers to go to Parker Bogue, obviously transferring from Washington to Florida. They also now show the address as a warehouse type building located on the water just west of Anacortes Marina. So it's not inconceivable that in some way Bud has reincarnated this or granted the use of the name to another potential victim or anything else imaginable. This will require some research.

North Ocean Yachts LLC is now operating under that name. Trade name registered on January 19 so clearly didn't build this boat. Business License issued on Thursday of this past week. Julian Bernstein is listed as a Member. Stuart Archer of Pacific Rim Yacht Consulting is registered agent. He shows himself on his website as designer of the 57' Northern as well as other Northern's. He has had previous involvement with Northern as long ago as 2002 which would probably be before their first ending and obviously the second and third.

This is insane. All I can say to anyone is read the full history of Northern Marine. It's an ugly story and as long as it resurfaces with some of the same players and in the same (almost) location, I just remind of this phrase:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

The process of one company failing, and another emerging, similar in name,somehow with the goodwill and property of the failed one perhaps purchased from the Liquidator,and often with the same people behind it, is known here as "phoenixing". It is a kind of "rising from the ashes".
This news report tells what Australia is hoping to do about it:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...odgy-company-directors-and-phoenixing/8895444

Last edited:
It is my understanding that this will not look like a Northern Marine if examined up close but is somehow more of Bud partnering or entering agreements with more people along the way including the owner of San Juan Yachts and others and Stuart and supposedly a Northern was built at the San Juan yard but originally documented as a Concorde or something. Gilbert Villareal was the owner of San Juan Capital LLC which owned supposedly San Juan, Concorde (Auburn Hills, MI) and Northern Marine, whatever that means as last time Bud just leased the name.

Swim with the sharks at your own risk.

Here's an article from last May.

BandB, I've been looking for stories and info about NM's history and demise (Google, trades, etc). Any links you recommend?

Always curious about what makes one business succeed and another fail.

BandB, I've been looking for stories and info about NM's history and demise (Google, trades, etc). Any links you recommend?

Always curious about what makes one business succeed and another fail.

Skagit County Superior Court Records. Just kidding although a lot ended up there, including much of what went on inside the company.

Bud Lemieux founded Northern in 1995, coming from Delta. He then sold it in 2006 to Ashton Capital. Then he regained it from bankruptcy in 2010 and "sold" it again in 2012 to Andy McDonald (New World Yacht) who had worked for Northern twice including under Bud. Now "sold" has to be carefully considered as he only leased rights to use the name and set up a deal in his favor. Then, of course, everyone knows about 2014 and then Bud "sold" it again in 2016 but who knows what sold ever means with him. Google the names and words like sold and bankrupt and you'll find plenty. Until next time. And history says there will be a next time. A lot of companies and a lot of people have lost a lot of millions dealing with them.

Anyone curious could certainly call and ask the broker about the history of the current listed boat. See what story you get.

You want another interesting read just go for Christensen Yachts and Henry Luken.

And older history, Irwin Jacobs and Genmar and Carver/Marquis and Larson.

And a business warning. When someone with many times more money than you offers you a deal or to step in and bail you out or whatever else, check it very carefully. The one with the money has the control and will likely be standing long after your business demise. They write the rules. When the business struggles they agree to loan it more money at high interest rates and under very detrimental terms. Check their history as it repeats and if they've taken advantage of others then don't deceive yourself into thinking it will be different with you.

Just no one has won buying Northern Marine from Bud. I'm sure he can attribute it all to their incompetency.

Now, this isn't universal. There are businessmen with money who help others all the time. Marcus Lemonis and the people on Shark Tank are good examples as are Rooster and Butch and Tillman Fertitta. And, yes, this is television but these are real people and in much of what is portrayed in the shows is very real. They've also all made bad deals and lost money too.

Funny you mentioned Marcus Lemonis. When I ran my own company we did business with Camping World. They we’re good for our business and we were good for theirs. In the end they wanted to have more control and brought what we did for them in house.

We parted amicably and I have to say to this day it was one of the best business relationships I’ve had. Stand up people at CW.

Interesting about NM. I’ve seen far too many business leaders replace integrity with leverage for personal gain. More often than I care to admit.

While I don’t make my living in the marine industry, I like to see successful businesses around what I’m passionate about and feel fortunate that the PNW is full of them.

While I don’t make my living in the marine industry, I like to see successful businesses around what I’m passionate about and feel fortunate that the PNW is full of them.

And NM has never been more than a pimple on the NW. At their peak it was one to two boats a year, sales under $10 million. Westport will sell well over $200 million plus by comparison. I wish the old Bayliner factory was still running and that line and Pacific Mariner alive.

I like to see ownership that has the capital, the passion, and the integrity.

Is that first picture Deception Pass? I wonder what boat the interior shots came from?

Is that first picture Deception Pass?

Wifey B: Now, darn you. You have me giggling uncontrollably. What irony if it is. It's like KFC's apology ad in the UK where they have the letters switched on the box and they read FCK. :rofl:

Wifey B, we have a clothing chain called FCUK. Full name is French Connection United Kingdom, you probably realized that right away. Looks good on a T shirt.
Sounds like a tinpot outfit,but Premier Investments is one of our larger more successful clothing and accessories companies. A successful public company, currently in an aggressive "blood on the floor" takeover battle for one of our oldest department stores.

Last edited:
FCK...Fried Chicken Kentucky? Sounds like a bit of a weird translation from French....

200w.gif

Last edited:
It is my understanding that this will not look like a Northern Marine if examined up close but is somehow more of Bud partnering or entering agreements with more people along the way including the owner of San Juan Yachts and others and Stuart and supposedly a Northern was built at the San Juan yard but originally documented as a Concorde or something. Gilbert Villareal was the owner of San Juan Capital LLC which owned supposedly San Juan, Concorde (Auburn Hills, MI) and Northern Marine, whatever that means as last time Bud just leased the name.

Swim with the sharks at your own risk.

Here's an article from last May.

I might add that Villareal no longer is the owner of Northern. It was sold. Now, again using "owner" loosely as Concorde was leasing the name, didn't own it, and I'm guessing the new owner leases as well.

The 57 is a very nice vessel. Been on several. Vitriol aside, a quality NA builder of vessels like this would sure be nice to see. But at the price point it is being offered for the Northern Marine saga will sadly never achieve fruition.

With a truly brand new Nordhavn 52 or used 60 selling for nearly a million less, this particular 57 will, as have other Northerns, languish. Then there is its 5 year build time, no warranty and systems marine age. Oh well.

Funny you mentioned Marcus Lemonis. When I ran my own company we did business with Camping World. They we’re good for our business and we were good for theirs. In the end they wanted to have more control and brought what we did for them in house.

We parted amicably and I have to say to this day it was one of the best business relationships I’ve had. Stand up people at CW.

Interesting about NM. I’ve seen far too many business leaders replace integrity with leverage for personal gain. More often than I care to admit.

Read the RV forums about how Lemonis has destroyed CampingWorld. High pressure sales, abysmal service, untrained workers, etc.......

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

It all depends on whose money you're using.:dance:

B&B you're right and thanks for the research and info.:popcorn:

Read the RV forums about how Lemonis has destroyed CampingWorld. High pressure sales, abysmal service, untrained workers, etc.......

Sounds like the RV industry at large. It’s been years since I did business with CW but their leadership was fair with us. I’ve not experienced them on the consumer sales side other than through CW retail stores.

Bummer if things have changed.

Someone with more money than sense will be swooned by the fresh smell of formaldehyde, chrome and gel coat. ?

They will sadly not research the history discussed here and for all we know, we will be reading about another NM “story” in a couple of years about another unhappy ending.

I will admit this, she sure does photograph well. Reminds me of all the airbrushing that PB used to do back in the day. Never forget the first time I met a playmate in person. ?. NOT what that young boy saw in print as the centerfold!

To set the record straight.
I am the owner of North Ocean Yachts, dba Northern Marine since January of this year
I contracted the build of the 57, Agave, in June of 2015 from Gilbert Villarreal, principal of Concorde Marine dba Northern Marine. The reason I chose to go this route is that I have known the Stuart Archer, the marine architect of most of the trawler line for Northern Marine, and Manager of Operations for Northern since 2004.
By the time Agave was completed it was apparent that Mr . Villarreal had no interest in the building Trawlers and he let the assets revert back to the founder of Northern Marine, from whom I purchased them outright. Stuart Archer is with me in this venture, we set up a new factory with many of the key former employees from the heyday of Northern Marine.
I invite anyone with any questions to call, email or visit us at the factory or at the Palm Beach Boat Show this weekend.

Hopeful success JB. NM's have been a well thought out boat in the past. It is nice to see the brand re-born. Any particular boat size or model you are concentrating on?

I contracted the build of the 57, Agave, in June of 2015 from Gilbert Villarreal, principal of Concorde Marine dba Northern Marine. The reason I chose to go this route is that I have known the Stuart Archer, the marine architect of most of the trawler line for Northern Marine, and Manager of Operations for Northern since 2004.

Stuart Archer is with me in this venture, we set up a new factory with many of the key former employees from the heyday of Northern Marine.

So, many of those involved with the last two failures of Northern Marine are still involved, including those there as they falsified billings, per their depositions? I assume Bud still owns the name? Does he have any other involvement?

Your refer to the heyday of Northern Marine. That would be 2006 and prior I'd assume that you're referring to?

Do you have any of their old molds?

My intention is to show off the product in boat shows. I prefer not to sell Agave, but if it sold I would rebuild the same boat for myself again.

Bud no longer owns the name. North Ocean Yachts owns the name.

When I mentioned heyday, I was referring to the peak of the trawler production, 1995 through 2005.

My intention is to show off the product in boat shows. I prefer not to sell Agave, but if it sold I would rebuild the same boat for myself again.

Bud no longer owns the name. North Ocean Yachts owns the name.

When I mentioned heyday, I was referring to the peak of the trawler production, 1995 through 2005.

So any builds in progress?

Back
Top Bottom