View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Anchor design and performance

I'm still not sold on this scaling issue. The Bruce's seem to work on small boats as well as any other. Look at Richard Cook. Hundreds of anchorings and good success. And they sell claws so small one could use them for gardening. I think too many people are think'in about oil rigs. I think any boat that might gravitate to this forum could use any anchor anybody else was using here on comparable bottoms with equal success.*

I'm going to change my theory a bit on how claws work re the beginning of the thread. Instead of occasionally setting on 2 flukes I think it's probably only one fluke. I'll bet if they get a second fluke in the third will almost always follow. And I'm also thinking it may have much to do w hard bottoms. All anchors have trouble w hard bottoms and a few days ago I had trouble getting my XYZ to set and then pulled up a huge mass of weed. Like Jay says "do do happens". So if we buy a new anchor whenever old reliable lets us down we may have a great pile of anchors in just a few years. I'm beginning to think these anchors work much closer to the same than we think and anchor tests must be running amok with some of the many many variables.*
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote