Trawler Prospect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, since you asked, I am thinking something around US$ 1.6MM.

With that budget, whatever you get is going to be very very nice. Good luck with your search.

One of my problems will be: within that budget, do I go for newest or biggest? Like, I can get a pretty recent KK55 or a much older N65. I notice that the newest boats, most have active stabilisers and Bow & Stern thrusters, and a lot of older boats do not; since I probably will want the two, the decision process is beginning to take shape, I guess. My list is growing every time I sit to think about it.

You can add things to your favorite to "make it yours."

Don't let lack of "bolt-ons" stop you...

-Chris

I wouldn’t worry about a stern thruster but a bow thruster would be a must. With the budget, id maybe think about keeping 10% of that for upgrades or improvements given it’s not a brand new boat. Please keep us posted and thanks for asking our input.

Pedro, with your budget I'd retain a top 1% buyers agent or trawler expert. Maybe some folks on here can recommend a good guy from south Florida.

Last edited:
Jeff Merrill Yacht Sales

Pedro,

I recommend Jeff Merrill, at JMYS.com, without reservation. Though he is based in Southern California, he is a class act and seems to be flying somewhere every time I speak to him. Jeff worked for Nordhavn prior to starting his own business. He is the kind of guy that will refer you elsewhere if feels he doesn't fit what you need.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
One of my problems will be: within that budget, do I go for newest or biggest? Like, I can get a pretty recent KK55 or a much older N65. I notice that the newest boats, most have active stabilisers and Bow & Stern thrusters, and a lot of older boats do not; since I probably will want the two, the decision process is beginning to take shape, I guess. My list is growing every time I sit to think about it.

As I sure you already know, purchase price is just the beginning. There are some TF members here with really big boats and they might chime in, but if is was me, I would go newer and smaller. In the long run it likely will much less expensive to run, moor, and maintain.

You might ask around and see if there is any difference in ease of handling with a 10’ size difference.

That's a beauty. Wow. I'm actually surprised that it only weighs 90k lbs. I would think a 60 footer would be way over 100k lbs.

Pedro,

I recommend Jeff Merrill, at JMYS.com, without reservation. Though he is based in Southern California, he is a class act and seems to be flying somewhere every time I speak to him. Jeff worked for Nordhavn prior to starting his own business. He is the kind of guy that will refer you elsewhere if feels he doesn't fit what you need.

Best Wishes

Another vote for Jeff Merrill, he is exceptional and he teaches a seminar at Trawlerfest called Dial In your Trawler; he probably keeps the most bristol boat of anyone you will ever meet.

One other point for Pedro: with your parameters, in order to get the most ideal boat you might consider opening up your search to the west coast US because by not looking there you might miss a real gem that meets all your needs. Plus the kind of boat you're looking for could very easily make that trip from the west through the Panama canal and it would be a wonderful break-in cruise for you... just a thought.
Good luck and keep us posted on your search:thumb:

Very good advices. I will hire a Broker and I will look everywhere, even NZ and AUS. I can always hire an experienced captain to do the crossing with me.

Traveling to look up boats is just what I need.

The JW Yachts site is so dated and unappealing. For a broker that sells multi million dollar vessels her website is awful!

The JW Yachts site is so dated and unappealing. For a broker that sells multi million dollar vessels her website is awful!

I hate to "sign up" just to look around and kick some tires.

Hey Pedro enjoy the journey. If you want a 55 nordhavn unfortunately they are all going to be older than 5 years now. They ceased production of both the 55 and the 47 due to market conditions. These boats are semi custom so if you’ve seen one well then you’ve seen one. Very few boats are fitted out the same. That can be a good or a bad thing. There are a couple of 60s around now that might interest you. Btw I’ve dealt with both of the brokers mentioned in this thread and depending on what you are specifically looking for there might be an even better option. We may have crossed wakes a few years ago off key biscayne. There was an express cruiser, tiara 33 or 36 driven by a fellow named Pedro who slowed down to chat on the way in.

Since I plan to buy an used boat, but not so old that would require a lot of work, wouldn't it be possible that in the end availability will dictate the choice between the two brands? At present I am searching the US East Coast only, for boats 2010 and newer.

Availability for either an N or KK is very good if you give yourself a 3 month window. Why? because most are purchased by older people who have the time and money and quickly move up or out.

As an example, if you were to call Nordhavn's head sales guy Larry Geiselman in Dana Point and tell him what you are interested in, he would get back to you in very short order with say a newer N52 or N 60 that if not for sale will likely come to the market very soon. Last fall we were a few weeks too late to the party on a very low hour two year old N52 that sold sight unseen to a buyer from England. The good ones move very fast.

But until you are a serious buyer ready to pounce, these deals will not be known or necessarily available to the casual tire kicker.

Hey Pedro enjoy the journey. If you want a 55 nordhavn unfortunately they are all going to be older than 5 years now. They ceased production of both the 55 and the 47 due to market conditions. These boats are semi custom so if you’ve seen one well then you’ve seen one. Very few boats are fitted out the same. That can be a good or a bad thing. There are a couple of 60s around now that might interest you. Btw I’ve dealt with both of the brokers mentioned in this thread and depending on what you are specifically looking for there might be an even better option. We may have crossed wakes a few years ago off key biscayne. There was an express cruiser, tiara 33 or 36 driven by a fellow named Pedro who slowed down to chat on the way in.

Thanks for the very good insight. I never had a Tiara, if it was me it had to be either a Scout 30 or a Boston Whaler 32.

Broken URL?

"Initialization Error (5)

If you have bookmarked this page, please bookmark the home page, not this page."

Wifey B: Yeah they tell you to turn off your security to reach their site. No thanks. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Pedro was asking about a Sea Spirit 60, agree JW Yachts has a poor website, but it is easier to look at on Yachtworld; the 2018 price does not include electronics. to avoid the big depreciation, you might consider the 2009 model for sale with only about 2000 hrs on a lugger engine.
I don't know a lot about these but its a pretty boat. Appears to be linked to Queenship builders in BC, Canada, but this particular Sea Spirit 60 is assembled in Zhuhai China (of course lots of trawlers are built over there).
Fuel burn and range look very good for a vessel this size... Maybe some other folks on here know something about this boat or about Queenship....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom