Anyone Know Where... X2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So the 24v dimmer switch for my over the counter/bar lights has gone. I want to replace with another "through the switch-plate" knob type switch.

Googling I have found this one at around $70.

Anyone know where I can beat that price?

K4 Electronic Dimmer Control Knob 10 Amp 12 Or 24 Volt 16-110 - Moore Parts Source

I also found this, but I do not know what the hell Pulse Width Modulation is and if it is a good application.

https://www.pilotlights.net/24-volt-dc-pwm-pulse-width-modulation-dimmer-4a-capacity

I think I have fond a replacement for this dimmer.

Not being savvy in 12/24 volt systems I have a question on the wiring. The existing dimmer is wired with the standard three wires, black, red and white. The replacement dimmer has four connectors, positive and negative in, and positive and negative out.

Will this work as a replacement and if so, how do I wire it?

See photos below.

Attachments

• dimmer2.jpg
    dimmer2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 72
  • dimmer.jpg
    dimmer.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 47
What type of lights? Are they 24v light or anything else?

The first image you posted is a variable resistor which may have worked on incandescent lighting, but won't work with LED lights.

The new LED lights are managed by one of two methods. Either you manage the amperage into the lights, or you cycle them on and off rapidly, with lower light levels being more off than on, called pulse width modulation (PWM).

You can tell which light you're using by moving the LED quickly while it is partially lit, and you'll see it appear as a row of dots. That's why videos shot in LED lit areas will often show the LED's blinking slowly since the camera shutter speed and the LED blinking rates are slightly off.

On a amperage controlled LED, it will be solid, always on.

The first image you posted is a variable resistor which may have worked on incandescent lighting, but won't work with LED lights.

The new LED lights are managed by one of two methods. Either you manage the amperage into the lights, or you cycle them on and off rapidly, with lower light levels being more off than on, called pulse width modulation (PWM).

You can tell which light you're using by moving the LED quickly while it is partially lit, and you'll see it appear as a row of dots. That's why videos shot in LED lit areas will often show the LED's blinking slowly since the camera shutter speed and the LED blinking rates are slightly off.

On a amperage controlled LED, it will be solid, always on.

Thanks for the info on PWM.

Any thoughts on wiring the new dimmer with the current wires?

See the link in post # 4 above. They have just the two - black and red.

I am now wondering if I should just replace the dimmer with a straight on/off switch - especially since every time we turn on those lights we push the dimmer to full anyway!

See the link in post # 4 above. They have just the two - black and red.

I am now wondering if I should just replace the dimmer with a straight on/off switch - especially since every time we turn on those lights we push the dimmer to full anyway!

If it is not to use it well you made you own answer :)

L

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom