Searched for one, found and rescued two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cold-smoked

Veteran Member
A couple of days ago, two fishing vessels went down just north of here, in the same area and around the same time. Only one was reported missing, so the rescuers got surprised to find two fishermen in two separate accidents. One of them is doing just fine now, the other one is still at the hospital.

Both boats were around 30 feet, similar to the one in the pic.

Obviously, people here find this happy ending story to be amazing :angel:

From the news :

https://www.nrk.no/troms/sokte-etter-en-savnet-fisker-_-fant-to-1.13923264

"Searched for one missing fisherman - found two

- We have never experienced this before, and hardly think we'll ever experience it again. This says rescue leader at the Norwegian rescue centre in Northern Norway, Frode Iversen.

We have never experienced this, says rescue leader at the Northern Norway Rescue Center, Frode Iversen, after finding a person at sea while searching for another.

A fisherman was found shortly after a boat with a person on board was reported missing outside North Fugløya in northern Troms on Sunday afternoon. The problem was that it was not the fisherman who was reported missing who was found.

Frode Iversen says that HRS NN launched a search in the area with several local boats, lifeboat, KV Farm and an NH-90 helicopter from KV Andenes, following a concern message from a "friends boat" at 4:10 PM
He could not reach him by phone, and couldn't reach him over the VHF-radio and the boats AIS signal (Automatic Identification System) was gone.

Found another at sea

One of the local boats went quickly to the last known position and went straight on a boat that was sinking.

The man could walk from his boats capsized hull to the first boat that arrived. The problem that occurred in a couple of minutes was that this was not the boat we were looking for, says the rescue leader.

Iversen says the man has explained that he pulled nets and got a huge wave over the boat. The load shifted and the boat went down.

"If it happened to the other boat, we do not know.

The system that brings life

Continued the search
Thus, they had to continue the search for the second boat, the one reported missing. After a few hours they found the person in the sea, but the boat was gone.

- This fisherman was found by a NH90 helicopter who was in the search at 18.23 Sunday evening, says Frode Iversen, who has never participated in anything like that.

The missing person was found by an NH90 helicopter

- No, we have never before experienced such a thing. That we have searched for a boat at sea, and then go straight to another that is in the same situation. We have never experienced that and will hardly experience it again, it's simply amazing.

Iversen says one of the things to be kept in mind is that at least one of the boats did not have an AIS emergency system.

"Had they had such an alarm, it would have gone off right away, that's something we obviously encourage boat owners to install," says rescue leader Frode Iversen.

Attachments

• fiskebåt.jpg
    fiskebåt.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Nord fugløya.jpg
    Nord fugløya.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
That’s pretty incredible.
I wonder if the first guy found just hadn’t called for help yet?

He said that he made a mayday call on his VHF radio, only minutes before the boat sank.

So I believe he got rescued by the boats who were in search of boat #2. We don't know all the details yet, because one of the fishermen is still at the hospital.

From the news : The headlline here is " The boat went completely under only 20 seconds after I was rescued "

He also explains that it took around five minutes from the wave hit until the boat sank. So he is very thankful, and he also realizes that he was extremely lucky.

https://www.nrk.no/troms/_-bare-20-sekunder-etter-at-jeg-hoppa-fra-baten_-sa-sank-den-1.13924186

Last edited:
EPIRB = inexpensive rescue insurance
Dont have one, buy one.
I recommend the auto release. In time of need, you have other more important things to do. You don't need to be sitting in the raft and ask, "Did you remember to launch the EPIRB?"

Yes, we have older Epirbs on our boat - so I really don't know the exact details. But we got a brand new VHF with a distress button. I hope that may prevent our socks from getting too wet.

Attachments

• McMurdo_SmartFind_E8_G8_and_G8_AIS_EPIRBs_aPanbo.jpg
    McMurdo_SmartFind_E8_G8_and_G8_AIS_EPIRBs_aPanbo.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
What is the water temperature at the rescue site? It's gotta be near freezing. Like Northern Alaska. The Bearing Sea is near freezing now.

What is the water temperature at the rescue site? It's gotta be near freezing. Like Northern Alaska. The Bearing Sea is near freezing now.

Yes, I'm guessing 3-5 degrees Celsius - or ~37-40 F. The rescue site is around 50 nm north from my city.

Attachments

• havtemp.jpg
    havtemp.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Yes, we have older Epirbs on our boat - so I really don't know the exact details. But we got a brand new VHF with a distress button. I hope that may prevent our socks from getting too wet.

I hope your socks never get wet.
One question, you wear socks on board? CHUCKLE

Wool

On a side note, last october two lobster-fishermen were rescued after their 23
ft pilothouse boat got hit by a big wave and capsized. This was in southern Norway. They spent around 5 hours in the water, and in that time they had drifted 2.5 nm. Both of them had floatation suits on, but only one of them had long wool underwear. Hospital check-up revealed that his body temperature was 34 C degrees ( 93 F), while his friends temp was down to 27 C ( 80 F).

https://www.nrk.no/sorlandet/la-hjelpelose-i-vannet-i-fem-timer-1.13718890

Attachments

• askeladden.jpg
    askeladden.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Yea yea long woolen underwear..... his mama called and wanted to know if they were clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom