Dock Lines (Spinoff from Labeling Lines)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonstruck wrote:

...<a></a>* Also the excess line can be coiled on deck----no hanging the excess off pilings, etc.*
*I find it easier to coil the end on the dock, and there is more room on the dock compared to the boat*deck so the coil is more easily avoided.* Further, there is no dirt accumulation from the coil on the deck.* Still, I realize one needs to be adaptable for different conditions.

Attachments

• rope coils.jpg
    rope coils.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 55
markpierce wrote:I realize one needs to be adaptable for different conditions.
*Back east where apparenty the norm is to moor to fixed docks,* piers and pilings, not floating docks like we have out here, being able to put the loop ashore to go around a piling or a cleat makes sense ( I guess).

But out here with tidal ranges of 7 to 20 feet (up north) virtually all the docks float (except for the big piers the commercial fishboats come up against).* We've never had an instance yet where adjusting the boat-end of a mooring line at a dock was necessary or even beneficial.* As the dock is always a short step down from the deck regardless of the state of the tide, once the lines are secured that's pretty much it.

And while it's a minor point, coiling lines on a wood-planked deck is not a good idea for any length of time.* The coiled line traps moisture underneath and the deck never dries out (up here in he rainy PNW, anyway).* Better to coil the lines on the dock if one is going to coil them.* And the flat coils are not a problem on a dock--- dock cart wheels roll right over them.

But the main advantage of attaching the loop of line to a cleat on the boat is the ability to take the bitter end to the dock and pass it under the bullrail.* You cannot do this from the boat unless the boat's gunwale is as low as the dock.* And since many docks have no cleats at all, you'd have to step to the dock to pass the looped end under the rail anyway, plus there is nothing to put the loop on.

I personally think that old saying about tying the boat to the dock or the dock to the boat is kind of stupid.* The boat's secured to the dock no matter where the loop is and that's all that's important, in my opinion anyway.

-- Edited by Marin on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 12:09:19 PM

Floating docks are not a big problem either way as long as you fender off and tie fairly closely to the dock.* If the finger pier is too chort sometimes there is a piling for tying the bow.* Either way, many times I will put the loop on the bow cleats. take the line out to the piling, wrap one time, and bring it back for tying off the bow cleat.* When we pull forward a little it will take tension off the bow lines.* The handler can then untie from the boat, pull the line in, and we are ready to pull out.* That of course is backing in.* On the East coast we very seldom have finger piers long enough to the all lines of the boat to the dock.* Under most conditions here it works better to do the line adjusting from the boat.

Marin wrote:Back east where apparenty the norm is to moor to fixed docks,* piers and pilings, not floating docks like we have out here ....
<blockquote style="padding-left:30px;">But out here with tidal ranges of 7 to 20 feet (up north) virtually all the docks float (except for the big piers the commercial fishboats come up against). ......
Almost all of the recreational, and many of the commercial, docks in Maine are floats (with or without bullrails, and often with both bullrails and cleats). Tidal ranges appear to be about the same as the PNW, except in the Bay of Fundy where it can be about 55' and, in 1869, a 70' tide was recorded.
<table style="width:422px;height:46px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" align="center"><tbody><tr><td>"OH, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,</td><td>*</td></tr><tr><td>
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at Gods great Judgment Seat".

</td></tr></tbody></table>

I keep my aft spring line w the loop on the boat as I usually leave it on our FLOAT. *Don, David, Marin and many others there's no such thing as floating docks. Floats are floats and docks are docks. And while I'm at it there's no such thing as rpms. Revolutions per minute's? It's what happens in ONE minute. That's the point. *

nomadwilly wrote:
*Don, David, Marin and many others there's no such thing as floating docks. Floats are floats and docks are docks.
I think that I agree for the most part. But a Google search of the differences (will the moderators allow that name here without asterisks?) will reveal a confusing conflict of definitions invoking other terms such as quay, wharf, pier, jetty, etc. And then there is the Mullbery floating dock/harbor of WWII fame.

Yes, but Eric surely has it right about "RPMs" and I hope to break the habit!

markpierce wrote:
Yes, but Eric surely has it right about "RPMs" and I hope to break the habit!
He does.We should change the acronym to RsPM?* That rolls fight off the tongue. RSPM! Or Rizzzpum! Just like a "Bronx Cheer".

-- Edited by dwhatty on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 05:40:04 PM

So I've fallen smack on my face on one score and I'm a shining star on the other.

I'm ok w shining star.*

Yea there's dry docks that float ect but I KNOW you get my drift.

RsPM *.....I thought of that Don ha ha.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 05:41:55 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
So I've fallen smack on my face on one score and I'm a shining star on the other.

I'm ok w shining star.*

Yea there's dry docks that float ect but I KNOW you get my drift.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 23rd of October 2011 05:41:55 PM
*David, not Don. Are you a drifting star?
smile.gif

nomadwilly wrote:
*Be careful, Eric.* You're working pretty hard up there.
biggrin.gif

nomadwilly wrote:
Don, David, Marin and many others there's no such thing as floating docks. Floats are floats and docks are docks. And while I'm at it there's no such thing as rpms. Revolutions per minute's? It's what happens in ONE minute. That's the point. *
The docks thing probably depends on where you are and who you're talking to.* The Port of Bellingham calls all the floating platforms in their marinas that you secure boats to "docks."* Or "fingers" if they are specifically talking about the things that form the individual slips.* Their "floating platforms" are even labeled that way--- F-Dock, G-Dock, etc.

The Washington State Parks people refer to floating platform things that are not secured to a shoreline as*"floats."* For example the*"float" in Reid Habor on Stuart Island which can*accomodate several boats but is anchored out in the bay.* But floating platform things that ARE secured to the shoreline the Parks Department calls "docks."

I prefer the term "float" but since 99% of the people around here have no idea what you're talking about when you use the term, and ask you "What's a float?" I tend to use the term dock because then they know what I'm talking about right off the bat.

As to RPM you are absolutely correct technically and*gramatically but not realistically.* What happens is that people-- particularly non-engineers, which is most of us---*use the term RPM as a singlular noun.* It's wrong but that's what everybody does.* So since an engine turns more than one rpm (usually) they make the "noun" plural.* So you get 600*RPMs or whatever.* Interestingly enough, when these same people say the name rather than the acronym, they usally say "revolutions per minute."

So you're absolutely correct but trying to get people to change is going to be like trying to piss against a hurricane and not get wet.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 24th of October 2011 05:19:27 PM

I'm reformed; now using "RPM" instead of "RPMs."*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom