Fly bridge deck repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgeSims

Vessel Name
Last Dance
Vessel Make
1987 Senator 35 Trawler
Have a35 senator trawler sundeck trawler with flybridge. Am in process of repairing soft decks. New to trawlers so question is: Do these models typically have wooden or balsa core under the non skid on the fly bridge the same as on the side and fore decks?

Have a35 senator trawler sundeck trawler with flybridge. Am in process of repairing soft decks. New to trawlers so question is: Do these models typically have wooden or balsa core under the non skid on the fly bridge the same as on the side and fore decks?

What year?

From what I learned over the years; on older boats...

Different manufacturing procedures in various manufacturing locations were used in different model boats, areas of each boat and year of boat build. Could be balsa, plywood or even shop-scraps of wood.

In other words... it's a crap shoot till you see first hand what the core material really is. I'd cut small hole [maybe 2" sq.] in a soft location to determine what the filler core is made of and than hope the entire soft-area of concern has same filler core and not a mixture of filler materials.

You needing to do a relatively small area or large expanse?

I'm interested to learn what you find and how you plan to attack/repair the situation.

Photos always help!!

Appreciate the reply. Surprisingly Deck core is a very dark wood and I think too dense and too dark for balsa oven for wet balsa. Getting ready to bore holes in the fly bridge today so will keep you posted.

Here's a short video series by someone doing the same thing. He removed a core that was made up of scrap pieces and replaced it with plywood.

Good luck with the repair. We need photos...

Here's a short video series by someone doing the same thing. He removed a core that was made up of scrap pieces and replaced it with plywood.

Excellent example of deck repair! I recommend watching all sectors. :thumb:

Certainly looks like it could be mahogany. Didn't know anyone ever used mahogany core. This is an 87 build in Taiwan.

Thanks Comodave. Will try to include pictures. Have decided to use Injectadeck and then cover with seadex non skid.

First section went well.

Just looked at the Injectadeck website - might be perfect for some work on my Mainship MK1. Hope you will post about your results.

Just read about Injectadeck on its website. Seems quite feasible and potentially a really good/easy-to-go manner for hardening-up soft spots on boat decks. Also watched video of application. Would like to see opened [cut out area under] deck-top surface once/after Injectadeck had been installed. Cross section view would be good to see too.

Way I look at it... Actually the soft spots in decks are not because top or bottom fiberglass has altered it's hardness or rigidity; but, it is because the deck's core has lost its hardness/rigidity. Therefore, either the top fiberglass can be completely pulled up and new rigid core set in place with fiberglass top reinstalled [an enormous project]. OR - something like Injectadeck can be utilized to restore hardness to the original core. If it works well then it's a no brainer which way to go - IMO! :dance:

First will give my decision processes my experience

Knew I did not want to undertake a recore diy project on my own at this stage of my life and estimates to Have it done professionally ranged from 35000 to 50000 in the Chesapeake where I organically bought the boat. Value added ratio to coast just didn't make sense.

I knew the decks had been soft for quite some time bit there are no spidercracks which told me I had thick layup which was a major factor in the objected decision.

Haven't finished yet but have already learn a couple of things.

The two wettest and softest areas which were nears the side drains at the lowest point on the deck are absolutely now solid and seem perfect.

The marginally wet and soft ares are the ones I am going back to do more work on. Will keep you posted on that later.

First will give my decision processes my experience

Knew I did not want to undertake a recore diy project on my own at this stage of my life and estimates to Have it done professionally ranged from 35000 to 50000 in the Chesapeake where I organically bought the boat. Value added ratio to coast just didn't make sense.

I knew the decks had been soft for quite some time bit there are no spidercracks which told me I had thick layup which was a major factor in the objected decision.

Haven't finished yet but have already learn a couple of things.

The two wettest and softest areas which were nears the side drains at the lowest point on the deck are absolutely now solid and seem perfect.

The marginally wet and soft ares are the ones I am going back to do more work on. Will keep you posted on that later.

Reading quickly due no obligations this morn... I'm a little confused... did you do some deck-core hardening procedure in this area? Almost sounds like that area self hardened??

"The two wettest and softest areas which were nears the side drains at the lowest point on the deck are absolutely now solid and seem perfect."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom