Where to get Dinghy Cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hamrow

Vessel Make
American Tug 435
The PO had a dinghy cover on our 10' RIB that is obviously a couple sizes too big and easily blows off in moderate winds.
we'd really prefer one made exactly for our RIB that tightly fits the dinghy. furthermore i've heard they make them with zipper "windows" you can open to pull things in and out without removing the whole cover.
I know there's several sources that claim to sell canvas covers, but does anyone recommend a specific source? our RIB is an Avon.

Any decent canvas shop will do a fine job. It's only money. In Annapolis, MD, we interviewed this fellow but sold the boat instead: coverloft.com

Thx and one more question: white color like the pilot house and to reflect solar heat? ... Or navy blue dinghy cover to match our hull...? Eventually we'll be moving to a warmer climate but I don't know if we have to be concerned with a navy color heating up just the dinghy...?

Checked with Avon?
My dinghy mfr/retailer stocks OEM covers for their range. Size does matter if you want a snug fit.

Had a couple of these from Amazon the 1st lasted 18 months and the second not a year Probably give them 3/10 just poor material. But they were both in the caribbean. So it's a bit buyer beware if you think of buying one of these.

Ding by Eevelle Dinghy Boat Cover - fits 10.5 Foot Long and 60" Wide Beam - Silver

I use Cadet Gray Sunbrella for all my canvas work. We spent 30 years in Arizona so I never wanted dark canvas due to heat absorbtion. I don’t like white because it is too difficult to keep clean. So gray is the medium solution abd it goes with anything. Most of the commercial produced ones do not last. We had a center console that we bought Taylor Made covers for $550 each. They fell apart in 2.5 years. After the second one I bought a commercial sewing machine and made a cover out of Sunbrella with Tenara thread. It was in perfect condition when I sold the boat 6 years later.

About a month ago, we ordered a custom-fit cover from inflatableboatparts.com. It was all online, apparently they use patterns. They were recommended by the place where we bought our inflatable, and the price was 1/3 of ordering chaps. It was at our door in about 2 weeks. I did not inquire about a zipper.

We selected a natural sunbrella color. I am happy with the fit and would order again if needed. It was about $429. No affiliation. Good luck.

Got ours, and our bimini from

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/?g...hX3vx33nP-rT2Vs4bcORzreMu62JmnlQaAp-ZEALw_wcB

They may well have the pattern for your boat. Great before, during and after customer service, on line and by phone. Our bimini frame got damaged in an accident and they were extremely helpful and reasonable in getting us the right parts quickly. We are in our 11th year of ownership and very heavy use, and quality has held up extremely well.

Thanks good inputs! As for contacting Avon; well if they make covers they sure don't make it easy to find out. they have a distributor locator on their website; i called about a half dozen before i gave up. a few will say "oh we don't deal in Avon", or they say "oh we don't carry the covers, give me your email and i can contact Avon for you and ask...". One said yeah we deal in Avon, but for covers we have a guy that custom makes them and he needs to see your RIB in person...
I'll probably go with one of the other sites you guys mentioned.

So as far as going with a dark color: not so much worry about heating up the interior of the RIB, but maybe its more an issue of the cover absorbing more solar radiation and deteriorating the cover a bit faster....?

We went with a light color because I didn't like how the dark color really made the boat look top heavy. All that dark up high was not the visual effect I wanted. Now it just looks like a dingy and cover.

Made mine, dont think an off the shelf cover would work because of the rack behind the seat. I think you would be happier with a local canvas shop making one for your dink. A nice tight fit will last a long time if made well. Good luck!!

Yes to sunbrella. White is hard to keep clean. I went with black to match my canvas. Being in the PNW we don’t worry to much about solar radiation. Had my last dingy cover for 15 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom