Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Best time to cross to Bahamas? Any time there is no "north" (ENE to WNW) in the winds. If it has blown from the north for any period of time you may have to wait for the Gulf Stream to calm down. Among other sources we use: https://www.windyty.com/ to provide some information...

200w.gif

Good question. I am taking my GF and my 38' over in mid June. All my previous trips had been in the late winter, early spring and had our share of getting BEAT. Heard that summer is more likely to be calm. Unless a tropical storm system brews....

Second that about crossing when winds are light and no N component.

Good question. I am taking my GF and my 38' over in mid June. All my previous trips had been in the late winter, early spring and had our share of getting BEAT. Heard that summer is more likely to be calm. Unless a tropical storm system brews.....

June, imho, is the perfect time for the Bahamas. Warm water and light winds. The return trip, afternoon thunderstorms, along the US mainland coast happen regularly, usually after 2 o’clock and they can develop quite quickly.

Wifey B: :confused::confused::confused: There's a bad time? :eek: I didn't know that. :rolleyes: Seriously, there's no bad month or season, just bad days or weeks occasionally. Just look at the conditions forecast and, if ok, then do it. :D

My preference is mid May to mid June. Beautiful weather and the heat isn’t that hot.

Hopefully will go to the Abacos this year as the past three years it’s been Harbortown and down the island, Cat and Long Island and the Exumas which we love.

Discounting hurricanes, I don't think there is a bad time.

Group9

Winter is busy as hell in the Exumas with many known anchorages jammed, besides its cold to dive lobsters. Conch or fish.

Jus my SSO.

Group9

Winter is busy as hell in the Exumas with many known anchorages jammed, besides its cold to dive lobsters. Conch or fish.

Jus my SSO.

Winter in the Bahamas, is my favorite time! I like the pleasant night temps, although I admit the fronts are annoying. And, the boats don't really pile in, until February (through April), usually, in my experience. I wear a wetsuit!:D

We missed it this year (plans interrupted) and I am sick we're missing out!

From what I read the water is still too cold for this Texan in winter. We wanted to go in June last year but ended up leaving later in July due to some boat issues and getting back in August, just in time for the hurricanes!

The weather was kind of squally in the Abacos due to some tropical storms in FL, but other than that it was all good.

IMG_0622.jpgIMG_0554.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Wifey B: We're spoiled. We just go over when we're not out on a long cruise anywhere. Sometimes a weekend, sometimes a week, sometimes a few weeks. We're sort of, "hey guys, want to go to Miami or Bimini?" or "hey guys, want to spend a few days in Key West or Nassau?" Regardless we don't get there enough. I think late March maybe we'll make it. We average five times or so a year but half are just weekends, some even just over and back on the same day. We need six weeks there. Maybe next fall. :)

Group9

That’s the difference. I’m a Florida boy and dive only in my florida wet suit, a T-shirt and swim suit. Water has to be 80degrees.

There really in no bad time to go. Just be aware of a few things:

From November to March the swimming water can be chilly for those who live in Southern climes.
Be prepared to plan your anchorages to shelter you from the wind through April as it can blow constantly for months (last year was especially windy right through May!). If in the Abacos it will be less of an issue as the Sea of Abaco is well sheltered and has less of a fetch meaning less seas, actually pretty minimal seas once you get there. If the Exumas, you will be "ducking and diving" more!
As already said, do not cross if you have anything above 5-8 from anywhere north. Also plan on getting going at first light as you have a much better chance of light winds. For some reason June 1st seems to be the demarcation time when winds shift to a more southerly direction on a constant basis. (though also is the start of Hurricane season!).
For a first timer, cross West Palm to West End. Check in there and go through Memory Rock (or Indian Rock if your draft allows) and head to Great Sale for an overnight before heading on to the start of the Abacos proper.
Buy a Dodge Guide.
If you have to be back by a certain day (i.e. starting back at work on a Monday), have your back-up plan ready rather than enter a stream with unfavorable winds. For example leave your boat and fly back. Then go back and get it later.

Any other questions, post em up! We will be in Abaco late March through early May.

Last edited:
Group9

That’s the difference. I’m a Florida boy and dive only in my florida wet suit, a T-shirt and swim suit. Water has to be 80degrees.

I understand. When we mived to Miami, people told us to get a heater for our pool. I pooh-poohed them. Miami seemed warm,coming from Maryland. Two years later, we had become acclimated and were looking for a pool heater!

Wifey B: Winter in the Bahamas seems very nice right now as we just experienced nights in the 40's and a couple of days where the high was only 60 in New Orleans. :ermm:

I understand. When we mived to Miami, people told us to get a heater for our pool. I pooh-poohed them. Miami seemed warm,coming from Maryland. Two years later, we had become acclimated and were looking for a pool heater!

Wifey B: We moved from NC. Winters were uncomfortable. The first time we saw people wearing jackets and sweaters when it dropped below 70 degrees we laughed. We're still not as bad as locals but as we travel we find we're sure wimps compared to people who live elsewhere. :eek:

Currently in the Bahamas. Water is about 75, which to my mind is close to really nice. Lots of time in water and no wet suit needed.

What's wrong with January? I like it there in January. :D

Crossing there, cold water there, crossing back for three. :eek:

Not for the employed for sure. For the lazy benefit sucking retirees, sure, why not. :D

Generally, there are better months for sure.

Crossing there, cold water there, crossing back for three. :eek:

Not for the employed for sure. For the lazy benefit sucking retirees, sure, why not. :D

Generally, there are better months for sure.

Wifey B: I'm retired but not sucking any benefits. That's for sure. :rofl:

When is the best time of year to cross over to the Bahamas?

I am sure you have picked up on too many possibilities to make sense.

The time to cross is preference with the exception of safety.

Some answered one way because they sit right across from them and have a speed advantage.

Some have much bigger (not necessarily much longer) boats.

Some have stabilization.

Some have winters that even miserable Bahamian days seem like paradise.

Some stay in marinas while those that anchor have to be more mindful of wind.

Some enjoy being in the water all the time, others not so much so conditions can be weather deoendent.

Some have tighter or less flexible schedules...

and way more reasons why theres no straight answer.....

I am sure you have picked up on too many possibilities to make sense.

The time to cross is preference with the exception of safety.

Some answered one way because they sit right across from them and have a speed advantage.

Some have much bigger (not necessarily much longer) boats.

Some have stabilization.

Some have winters that even miserable Bahamian days seem like paradise.

Some stay in marinas while those that anchor have to be more mindful of wind.

Some enjoy being in the water all the time, others not so much so conditions can be weather deoendent.

Some have tighter or less flexible schedules...

and way more reasons why theres no straight answer.....

Yep. It's kind of like asking when the right time to get married is., or when the right time to retire is. I know people get tired of hearing, it depends, but that is so true. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom